Extremely odd issue with wireless/wired connection

Reaction score
Hey,

Got an issue with my 15" MBP I bought a year ago this March. Runs OS X 10.6.6 and I usually use Firefox as my browser. The issue I'm having is that it is connecting to the router just fine, I am also able to connect and talk through Skype and connect to Steam. When I attempt to use a browser it hangs on connecting for about 2 full minutes before it gives me: "Server not found" followed by a generic message for incorrect URL use. I'm met with this on every site including Google . Anybody got any suggestions? I've been searching around for info and haven't found a solution yet. (I've also tried the generic troubleshooting tricks minus the PRAM and non-volatile firmware).

Thanks!

**EDIT: forgot to mention, it's not my network. Works fine for all machines. It was working fine on my network at home, went to work, didn't work there, came home, didn't work here either. Not sure what I changed!

OP
T
Reaction score
Bah, sorry for the bore. Just for archives sake I read this and saw the tip:

Tip: In Mac OS X v10.4 or later, you can click the "Assist me" button in the Network preference pane, then follow the onscreen prompts for network diagnostics. However, the following information is good for any version of Mac OS X.

Ran the diagnostic and it figured out my DNS information was incorrect and auto-corrected it based off the server I pointed it at. False alarm. Apologies for the post.

OP
T
Reaction score
**It's back

When I was on my home network last night I fixed the issue through "assist me" but now I'm at work and the problem persists. This time around when I run assist me it fails on internet and server but green lights everything else. When I go through the rest of the prompts it basically asks me to reset any device that is between me and my ISP. As this is an entire floor of people working I don't think I can ask our IT guy (who isn't savvy with macs) to do that. Any suggestions? Really would like to get it back up and running at work.

**Also I noticed it works with Dropbox and iTunes shared libraries on the network as well as Steam and Skype.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved your thread here where it belongs and more apt to get some replies.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If I had to hazard a guess in the dark - it's that the network at your work location uses a specific set of proxy settings. For instance - where I work - there's a script that loads the proxy settings into the browser - but if I want to get on the internet elsewhere - I simply head to the Advanced Network settings in whatever browser I'm using - and click - automatically detect settings (or proxy).

Depending on the browser you're using - you'll find this in different locations, but as an example - in Firefox (3.5.17) which is what I have on my Windows machine at work (in addition to IE) you'll go to Tools>Options>Network>Settings - and you'll see an option to automatically detect settings.

That may get you up and running at home. While at work - take a look at someone's computer that is on the network and copy their proxy settings.

Again - this is just a guess.

OP
T
Reaction score
No, I appreciate it. Fishing for anything now. I feel like this is one of those dumb things that I've overlooked. I don't know why this is doing this. I've posted on a few forums searching for this so I don't know if I've said this but with only running the "Assist Me" tool in Networking I got it fixed. This fix did not do the trick at work though.

I just checked my IT guys' computer and mirrored his firefox settings as well. He has it set to use the systems proxy settings which is set to automatic. Same on mine now. Still a problem =(. Much appreciated though.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Well - it was a shot. There are some IT gurus on this site (paging CWA) - so hopefully they'll be along to square you away eventually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.