iBook G3 Problems

E

elphinston

Hello, let me introduce myself. Im Elphinston and i have just joined your great informative forum.

I have a iBook 12" G3 900mhz with 256 RAM running on 10.2.8. Late last year Apple replaced the motherboard due to it being part of a dodgy batch that was produced, which was great cos it was a month out of warranty when it broke down!
However i have started to experience a few similar problems again, which include a scrambled screen, the computer telling me to shut it down after waking it up from sleep. Also a new weird thing that has happened once was it was in sleep and the fan was flat out and the bottom of the iBook was really hot. What would cause this, does anyone know?
Anyway i did a repair permission on it a week ago and it seems to have settled down a bit, however i havnt used it since cos the old iBook was the perfect excuse i needed to justify getting a imac G5! great machine, it flies!!
I would like the luxury of having a functioning ibook with my imac, so can anyone suggest any thing i should do to figure out what is wrong with the ibook with out spending to much money, and how to get it working smoothly. Is it worth upgrading the ram and the OS to tiger ( will this run ok on the G3?)
I have Apple care protection plan with the G5 this came with a Techtool deluxe CD. I dont know what it is, but i guess it finds problems on the mac and fixes them. Will this disk work on the ibook?

Sorry about all the questions.

Many thanks in advance

P.S i know nothing about computers, so could try and keep any replies simple so a muppet like me can understand! Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
The first thing I would try to do is perform a clean re-installation of the OS. Back up any files you need, then insert the installation disk and start the installation. Be sure to select the Erase and Install option.

OP
E

elphinston

Padawan said:
The first thing I would try to do is perform a clean re-installation of the OS. Back up any files you need, then insert the installation disk and start the installation. Be sure to select the Erase and Install option.

Thanks Padawan, I will give it a go, and post an update later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.