HELP! Catalog B-tree error, can't delete a HUGE preference file

M

markpetrowsky

I have a Colorsync preference file that I haven't been able to delete for sometime in my trash. When I attempt to delete it I get a -127 error and a message saying the file can not be deleted. When I get info on the file is says it's 16gb and now it seems to be taking up all the space left on my boot partition. I'm having memory issues due to no hard drive space left and can't seem to run certain apps. Also My Internet Explorer just seems to fire up and crap out on me now.

I ran Disk Doctor and Norton's and get the following messages:

1. A major error was found in a file record in the catalog B-tree
"colorsync preference" has incorrect starting block number, the file may be damaged and should be examined.

2. A major error was found in the volume header block total directory count is incorrect.

3. I get a prompt to fix a long list of "crosslinked" files. when I try to fix them and Norton says it is unable to and I should try to delete them if possible. which I can't.

Norton says Crosslinked files share at least some space on the harddrive with other files damaging one or both of the files.

If anyone has had any similar problems and could help me out I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have read in seeral places thaqt Norton, does not work will with OS X as of yet. Most people are suggesting that disk warrior is better.

You may want to take your system down to single user and run a file system check (fsck -y). That should fix any problems with the file system. Also under single user mode you can delete the file you are having a problem with. I just don't know where the trash is located.

Note this you can do will your system is up in the normal mode.

I think I have read, that you can delete doing the following:

Open up a terminal window, also open up the trash. In the terminal window enter the following with out the quotes.

"sudo rm "

Next drag the item from the trash can into the terminal window that you want to delete, then press the enter/return key.

OP
M

markpetrowsky

I forgot to mention I'm running OS 9.2
I don't even have OSX installed on my machine. but thanks for the suggestion.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Okay, never mind. ;) :p

OP
S

SJamesLaw

Cross-linked files

Hi, MarkPetrowsky,

I am having the same problem, and I fear that my "crosslinked files"
will be lost forever. Most of these files are part of a five-year music
recording project, so I'd very much appreciate it if you could tell me
how you solved or "fixed" the problem.

My email address is:
[email protected]

OP
B

Badger

markpetrowsky said:
I have a Colorsync preference file that I haven't been able to delete for sometime in my trash. When I attempt to delete it I get a -127 error and a message saying the file can not be deleted. When I get info on the file is says it's 16gb and now it seems to be taking up all the space left on my boot partition. I'm having memory issues due to no hard drive space left and can't seem to run certain apps. Also My Internet Explorer just seems to fire up and crap out on me now.

I ran Disk Doctor and Norton's and get the following messages:

1. A major error was found in a file record in the catalog B-tree
"colorsync preference" has incorrect starting block number, the file may be damaged and should be examined.

2. A major error was found in the volume header block total directory count is incorrect.

3. I get a prompt to fix a long list of "crosslinked" files. when I try to fix them and Norton says it is unable to and I should try to delete them if possible. which I can't.

Norton says Crosslinked files share at least some space on the harddrive with other files damaging one or both of the files.

If anyone has had any similar problems and could help me out I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

1 and 2 are serious errors. The only utility that can deal with them reliably will be DiskWarrior. I use all of the "big three" utilities - Norton's, TechTool and DiskWarrior - and in my experience DW is the only one that can handle those errors. Once the directories and catalogs are rebuilt try Norton DD again for the cross-linked files. If NDD still cannot fix the cross-linked files then you can try Norton's File Editor+ that is only on the Norton CD. However, File Editor+ is a heavy-duty programming tool. Be careful! You can do serious damage with it, that's why it is not installed when you install NUM on the hard disk. With FE+ you will have to go through your hard disk and rejoin the cross-linked segments into files. As a warning I would say don't use File Editor+ unless you are willing to lose all you data and have to reformat. File Editor+ should be used only as the last resort.
Good Luck.
Badger

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.