Windows Vista question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
I didn't put this in the "Running Windows...on your Mac" forum since I don't run Windows on my Mac; it is installed on my PC. With that said:

On my PC running Windows Vista, in the "C\Program Files\Common Files\Wise Installation Wizard" folder, there are several very large .MSI files. What are these files, and can they be safely deleted? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can delete them if the programs they refer to have already been installed. MSI = MS Installation. Microsoft started using *.msi some years back in lieu of *.exe for the installer. Just another annoying way that MS tries to make everyone comply with their proprietary formats.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It would still go in the 'Windows (or anything else)' forum.

Definitely not in Anything Goes.

OP
wavinwayne
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
You can delete them if the programs they refer to have already been installed. MSI = MS Installation. Microsoft started using *.msi some years back in lieu of *.exe for the installer. Just another annoying way that MS tries to make everyone comply with their proprietary formats.

Thanks.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I don't see how anything labeled "Wise Installation Wizard" can be associated with Vista :Angry-Tongue:

And no...I'm not anti-Windows at all - just anti-Vista. Way too many hours spent wrestling with that OS

OP
wavinwayne
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
...And no...I'm not anti-Windows at all - just anti-Vista. Way too many hours spent wrestling with that OS

I've owned my Vista desktop since 2007, and I've never had any major issues with Vista. By all accounts, Vista is supposed to be a real dog, but it's always done everything I needed a desktop PC to do. With all of the latest OS updates, Vista is very similar to Windows 7, IMO.

All that said, my next desktop system will not be another Windows box. I'll probably get a Mac Mini or an iMac.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've owned my Vista desktop since 2007, and I've never had any major issues with Vista. By all accounts, Vista is supposed to be a real dog, but it's always done everything I needed a desktop PC to do. With all of the latest OS updates, Vista is very similar to Windows 7, IMO.

All that said, my next desktop system will not be another Windows box. I'll probably get a Mac Mini or an iMac.

Well - I don't know what I was doing wrong - but Vista and I just never got along. I was fine with XP - and in fact, that's still what we use here at work. I'm looking forward to tinkering with Windows 7 - but for some reason that deployment has been delayed here. Really looking forward to it since I'm hoping I can get the "home program" for Win 7 which will save me a hundred bucks or more.

I still have Vista on my computer downstairs - but have given up caring about it. Win 7 will eventually take its place.

If it works for you - that's absolutely all that matters. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.