10.6.7 Update, Internet and E-Mail issues -resolved (I hope)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
I've had a couple of strange wee issues since updating to 10.6.7 last evening...

1st, my internet connection would just drop, with the only real indication being that Skype contacts disappeared or I couldn't load web-pages. The Airport symbol still indicating full-strength signal, just nobody home. I think I've fixed that by resetting my Network settings (in System Preferences) and selecting Assist Me, and just letting that do it's thing -after having to manually enter my network ID and password that is; it didn't pop-up in the automatic list!

2nd, my e-mail was acting up on some accounts. MobileMe and my ISP email address were working fine, but the 4 main accounts which run from my own server were not! First thought obviously, was "server issue". A very quick check disabused me of that notion. The server is/was Up and functioning correctly. So to the accounts, where (to cut a long story short) I discovered that all my own POP accounts had been set to Port 995 with SSL enabled!!! Apparently during the OS update, as I certainly haven't touched those settings in months. Unselecting the SSL check-box returned the Port to the appropriate 110 and everything is again functioning as it ought.

Hope thats of some help to anyone with similar issues!

BTW: These changes are only minutes old, so as yet untested for robust performance. If any further info comes to light, I will post it here.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm... disregard previous re email servers... I have a problem now. I've sent "test" emails to myself to/from my various accounts and none are working.

EDIT: Apparently I have been trying to resolve my email issues coincident with an email server outage (DoS attack?) at my hosts! I'll have to wait until the servers are stable until I can resolve this.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, my e-mail has returned to normalcy -and all accounts are running perfectly on Port 995 with SSL enabled. Apparently the issue in the OP was totally related to an ongoing DoS attack on my hosts servers, so was totally unrelated to the OS-X update. Just coincidental that the problems appeared after the update and that when I checked the servers they were (briefly) up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.