can I get a cost estimate for . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
Let me begin again. I did one of the big no no's and spilled diet coke into my beautiful Mac Book Pro sob. Yes I had one of those little silicon key pad covers. I was reinstalling the OS at the time. I turned it over. Got it turned off. Opened the back and pulled the wire on the battery. I had diet coke on the bottom of my optical drive.

If any of you did not know it. Apple does not seal the keyboard so air can be pulled in around the keys to keep it cool.

Although it just happened a few minutes ago, I am pretty sure it is gorked. I spoke with Apple Care, I still have a lot of days left. They suggested just plugging the battery wire back in (it is flopping loose and the battery is fully charged), and close up the back. Leave it off and take it in to be evaluated.

They said if I was sure that it would need a repair. I do not need the three days of drying before taking it in.

Whew, all that to get to the question. Anyone have an estimate of how much this is going to cost me?

I would only go to an Apple Approved repair center, because of the potential benefit that any future consequence of this would get that fixed for free.

I am guessing replacing the Logic Board. Maybe optical drive, it was spinning. and a general clean up. Of course Apple guys are coached not to make price estimates until the Genius Bar guys get in there and poke about a bit. I need to have an idea of how much it is going to cost because this is, obviously, going to be a major expense for me. If replacing the Logic board is six hundred. Well. I need to figure out how I am going to afford this. So I just can not take it in and not have an idea.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ugh, that's awful. I would definitely let it dry out thoroughly and test it before you bite the bullet.

I would also recommend sending it off to TechRestore.com or MacService.com as it's going to cost you significantly less than going through Apple. Based on costs I've heard people throw around here, you're looking at about $750 for the system board. And of course, you're probably going to need a keyboard (the backlighting frequently fails when exposed to liquid) and potentially a new SuperDrive if it was pooling in that area. With labor, I'd venture a guess of $1200 at a minimum (through Apple).

You might actually be better off parting out on eBay and using the proceeds to finance a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.