Can't Diagnose the Problem - Phantom Partitions

Reaction score
I have not been able to identify another mac user with a similar issue, it is very weird and I am all out of ideas.

When I updated my Macbook Air (1 Gen) to Snow Leopard using the remote disc install feature two additional mounted disks were created. They are each labeled 'Install OS X' and each shows a capacity of 2+ GBs. They mount every time I startup and they are on the desktop with the same icon as my HD. I can eject them but 1)it is annoying every time and 2)where is the 4+ gigs going. I have the 64 GB SSD so space is at a premium.

I have attached an image of my desktop if it is helpful. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MacBook%20Air.jpg

Mac Mini (2007) 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
iMac (2009) 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB
Macbook Air (2008) 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What does Disk Utility show for partitions? If possible, paste a screenshot so we can have a look at it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Disk Utility

Here are the screenshots.

When I open each partition (maybe it isn't even a true partition - but it seems like it) there is a single folder "Desktop" with nothing in it.

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image 3.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I want to look at from Disk Utility is this:

Highlight the top entry that states the size of the drive. Then click on the partition tab. That should bring up a vertical box showing all the partitions on the drive. I want to see if they're real partitions or not. Without knowing, I wouldn't want you to start erasing them. Post back and we'll go from there.

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow, I feel very dumb, and very grateful

You, my good sir, are enlightened. Sure enough I went where you directed me and there the partitions were. It was as simple as hitting the "-" button. I don't deal with partitions so I had no idea how to manage them. Problem solved, thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great. Glad you got it resolved. Have fun and visit us often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.