To partition or not to partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
My new (to me) iMac is great. Everything I have wanted to do so far is working fine; all my photos, movies, documents, and music are transferred over (I think, make one last check tonight). I have VLC and Vuze downloaded (Vuze runs my movies to my xbox over my network), and am still looking for free apps that I want/need.

Now to the backing up part of having ~16 days of music, and 7K photos.

I have a Free Agent Seagate 1tb external via USB, but have the FireWire 400 option, and an Airport Extreme Base Station coming in the mail. Couple questions.

1. I want to limit desk clutter, so I have concluded that backing up via FireWire (still need to purchase the cable) would be silly since I have already done the heavy transfer (PC files to iMac first time). And the only other heavy transfer would be the original backup. I'm guessing around 350-400gb.
UNLESS-—•
Buying the FireWire cable will give my external power. I can handle the single cable from the iMac to the external. Will it draw power from the iMac to the Seagate?

2. Should I partition the external? With it being 1TB and my HD being 500gb, should I make X#GB on the external for Time Machine? And the rest, Y#GB for what? Anything I do not want backed up? That seems counter intuitive to having an external drive.

3. If I partition the drive it needs formatted. Understood. Are the partitions different format types? How much of that will i do on my own? How much will TM do for me?

I think that's all I needed answered.
Thanks
Tt

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
power all depends on the external you buy, some are bus powered, some are mains.

formatting the HD:

depends on what you want it for. TM will want HFS+ (Mac compatible.)

for your non-Time machine partition, you could go with HFS or FAT32. fat 32 would be good if you do any work with windows, as OSX & windows can write to it. HFS can be read by windows but not wrote, and NTFS is r/w in windows, but read only in OSX.

they always say you should have a backup drive twice the size of your computer's internal.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Ok. I think I get it.
TM wants the Mac standard.
I don't intend to run windows anytime soon. I guess I could opt for the fat32.

So how do I partition? Will TM ask me if I want to?
If not, where/how do I do it?
How do I format the second partition to fat32?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before you do any partitioning......

Time Machine does not require a separate partition as it can nicely exist along with other data provided the drive is formatted to HFS+.

Keep in mind that if you partition and format the second partition as FAT-32, you will be limited to a single file size of ~4 GB. If you intend to have large videos or music files that exceed that size, you will be unable to store them to the FAT-32 partition.

You stated that you don't intend to run Windows. I would then leave the drive as one partition formatted to HFS+.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Thanks chscag. I did not know that about fat 32.
I guess i could always do it later. The formatting that is.

I still wonder if it will draw power from the IMac. Trial and error I guess. I'll try it tonight.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.