Macbook Pro 13" (early 2011) Freezing (+ Crucial C300)

Reaction score
All right, I've been seeing a lot of threads regarding the problem with 15" and 17" MBPs freezing and locking up, and it seems to be related to the discrete graphics, such as explained in the wiki.

This wiki now says "How to fix this issue entirely: It's now confirmed by multiple testimonies, on Apple's discussions forums, that 10.6.7 does solve this issue entirely. Tests has been done using the various scenarios described below as well as using high demanding benchmarking software like SmallUXGPU, and nobody has been able to reproduce the issue since 10.6.7. Good work Apple!"

However, before, it was already written that "Known models potentially affected: MacBook Pro (2011) 15'' and 17'' with both the integrated Intel and AMD GPUs. This would seem to exclude the 13" models. While people have described problems with the 13" models, it is not clear if these machines are experiencing the exact same freeze."

And I am one of those having problems with the 13". Updating to 10.6.7 did nothing. I am running a Crucial C300, and I contacted them about the problem, but haven't got a response yet. I have also contacted my Apple Premium Reseller, from whom I bought the Macbook Pro, and am still waiting for a response as well.

The problem is the following: I get random freezing, sometimes truly random and without any load (such as only working in Word, or even right after a restart), but mostly and almost reliably reproducible when moving a large number of files, such as importing and exporting photos into/from iPhoto (tried with iLife 2011 and iLife 2009), but also - which I did for testing purposes of this very problem - when copying about 500 images to a different folder; once, the problem already appeared when I pressed CMD+C for copying. Also, when importing into iPhoto, the app encounters problems such as not being able to import certain files, and some photos appear to be cut off after the import (greyed out below the middle or so), thus corrupted.

Do tell me if you need more input from my side for answering this question!

Thanks in advance.

Post Scriptum
I forgot to describe what the freezes look like. I just get the Beachball, and the app creating the problem becomes unresponsive, and shortly after (a few seconds), the rest of the computer gets unresponsive as well, except the cursor which can still be moved. Everything locks up, not even app names appear when hovering over dock icons. Oh, and sometimes I do get a temp spike with my fans going crazy, but this only seems to be the case in the minority of cases. Freezes take about 30-60 seconds do disappear. They seem to be appearing more often every day (got the Macbook on Friday).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's my understanding that the Crucial C300 SSD has had some firmware updates. Not being familiar with that drive, I don't know if that would have anything to do with the freezing. And as far as I know, the Intel HD3000 GPU has had no past problems with freezing. It's not a new GPU from Intel but has been around for awhile and was used in previous MBP models.

Since your machine is new, I would also suspect the system memory. Bad or intermittent memory modules will definitely cause freezing. I have seen that happen before. Swapping the modules with known good ones is one way to test for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.