Closing Programs and Logging Out

Reaction score
Mac Pro OS 10.6.6

When not plugged in to a mains electricity supply, and not used for a few minutes, it shuts down all open programs (unless there's a document in mid edit) and logs out.

I've checked preferences/security. The log out after x minutes of inactivity box is unchecked.

Any ideas what is up?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your battery is not keeping enough of a charge for the machine to stay up and that's why it's shutting down. Have you checked on the status of your battery?

OP
R
Reaction score
The battery is charged.

Perhaps there is some software fault and the sleep function is also triggering shut down programs and log out.

I wouldn't want to disable the sleep function if I could avoid it however.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the battery is fully charged and working, then it has to be something in the power saver settings that's not functioning correctly. Why don't you try resetting the SMC to see if that cures it. Go to this LINK.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are we certain the battery is actually functioning properly? When my iBook battery was starting to fail it was showing as fully charged. As soon as I was running only on batteries it drained what should've been a several hour charge in half an hour or so.

Reaction score
having same issue

Hi, RapJam.

Have you been able to figure out how to solve your issue? I am having the same problem...and WITH a new battery.

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

C

chas_m

It's not the battery. It's the security settings. Someone (probably you) has changed them from the default and forgotten about it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Actually the security was not the issue.

The only way to stop it happening was to increase the sleep time by going to preferences and the power save option and increasing the sleep times for both the battery and the power adaptor - anytime the sleep threshold time is reached the computer shuts down all programs and logs out. Not an ideal solution as it keeps burning the battery power, but better than coming back to a computer and having to reload every screen you were working with.

C

chas_m

Sleep does NOT close programs and log a user out. This simply DOES NOT HAPPEN, on battery or on mains, unless the user has changed a setting or installed a program (like a UPS software driver) to make this happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.