External Hard Drive not showing up in Finder

Reaction score
I have a 1tb Lacie hard drive that I've owned for about 5 months now. I use it as my time machine back up and never have had a problem with it before.

However, it has recently stopped being recognized by my 2009 MacBookPro. It would show up on Finder and my desktop for about a minute when I plugged it in but would then reject itself. I've used both usb 2 and a firewire 800 to connect and I have a reliable power source. It doesn't show up in system profiler and I have used Disk Utility to repair it, which said it was okay.

I don't know if this would have a difference but the hard drive in my MBP is new, my old one (a 320gb) failed so I had the Apple Store replace with a larger capacity model (a 500gb).

I really hope someone out there can be of some help. I'm growing pretty desperate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I have a similar problem. My Seagate 1TB is running but is not showing up on my desktop. All my back up files are in there.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
what format are both the drives? do you get the "you did not eject the disc correctly" message? does the drive spin down after dismounting (put your hand on the top of the enclosure, you can feel if it is spinning)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.