External Optical Drive

Reaction score
I have a imac 27 that I've had for maybe 4 months. I've ALREADY had to have the optical drive replaced once so far. I ONLY use the drive to import cds to itunes. I would like to get an external drive for this because my internal drive cannot handle it. Can anyone suggest a good external drive that is compatible for what I'm doing? I don't want to burn anything on it. Import only. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most, if not all external optical drives nowadays are dual layer burners. There are many good brands to choose from. I bought an inexpensive Samsung from Amazon.com 6 months ago and it works real well.

Some folks recommend Pioneer drives as they seem to be well built and last longer than the drives that Apple uses. Shop around. Amazon, Tiger Direct, Other World Computing, are all good places to look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.