100% packet loss - Network Utility Ping

Reaction score
Hi,
I was trying to see if my airport dropoff problems were related to NIC so I used the network utility to ping 127.0.0.0 in order to access transmitted/received data. The results were 100% packet loss.

Does this confirm the airport software/hardware is damaged, or both/neither?

Trying to figure out why airport disconnects from any internet connection multiple times a day.

Thanks for your help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First, if you wanted to ping the loopback device, it's 127.0.0.1. There is nothing at 127.0.0.0. Secondly, pinging the loopback device doesn't actually check your NIC/Ethernet connection..

If you want to your Airport connection, you should ping a IP address that's either on the Internet or a device somewhere else in your house..

Regards

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Pinging an IP address won't tell you why you're losing a connection - it will only tell you the status of the connection you currently have.

Does this happen on all networks or just particular ones? I know that Airport for me seems to have issues with my school WiFi network once in a while (for no apparent reason).

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies - understood. The problem seems to occur on all networks. I called into Applecare and they said it might be a hardware issue, but didn't rule out software either. Will troubleshoot some more, not really wanting to send it back if it can be fixed on my end.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.