What MacBook should I get?

Reaction score
I'm getting a job in the summer, and I'll make enough for a MacBook. What MacBook should I get? Should I get the regular MacBook or the MacBook Air? I can't afford the Pro. I'm thinking about getting a MacBook (regular) because I need a DVD drive and all of the ports. But I like the MacBook Air because it's really thin, but it doesn't have a drive or all of the necessary ports. Which do you recommend? List the pros and cons of both if you can. Thanks! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think it all comes down to this - will the machine complement another computer or replace it altogether?

If you just need a portable machine to complement a desktop, then the MacBook Air is a good choice.

If the machine will be more "general pupose", then the MacBook is a better choice.

Also, do note that the MacBook will be the sturdier of the two choices, less likely to get scratches and dents. So, if you're a student, I would probably lean in that direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Something to keep in mind with the MacBook Air is that whatever RAM you order with it is all you will ever get. You cannot upgrade RAM in a MacBook Air after the fact because it is soldered directly onto the motherboard. Also, the SSDs use a different standard so you cannot pickup an off the shelf SSD to upgrade the storage if you need more later on.

The MacBook and MacBook Pros on the other hand are easy to upgrade RAM and storage so you can get 2GB or 4GB now and upgrade to 8GB or more later on.

Food for thought.

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Plus one to

CWA's advice. The MacBook is sturdier and more versatile, just not as cool looking (or as expensive) as the MacBook Air.

C

chas_m

It also depends on your needs, which you haven't really specified, but I'm going to second (third?) CWA's advice as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.