Share multiple iTunes libraries on 2 Macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I've just bought a MacBookPro to work alongside my existing iMac but am a bit confused as to how to best use iTunes now.

On my iMac my wife and I both have separate user accounts and within each account we each have our own iTunes library and iTunes account. All iTunes media files are stored on an external USB drive connected to the iMac. This works fine on the iMac.

On the MBP we've bought I've again set-up two user accounts for us both and now want to set-up iTunes on each account as well. However because the iTunes library is over 100GB I don't want the media to be copied onto the MBP. Instead I just want to be able to access the libraries on the iMac with all the playlists etc from the MBP and then stream the media over the network.

Is that possible, if so how?

Also, would it be possible in this way that if we were using the MBP and bought something from the iTunes store it would save the file(s) to the external USB drive on the iMac as well as update the iTunes library on the iMac?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since you already have the files on an external drive..you'd need to make that external drive visible to both your iMac and MBP..then you'd just mount the external drive in the same manner into the same location on both Machines..one that's done, you can copy over your library files on the iMac from ~/iTunes to your MBP, and better yet setup a synch between these 2 machines, so that they can keep the library in synch as you purchase things on either the MBP or iMac..

Regards

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Since you already have the files on an external drive..you'd need to make that external drive visible to both your iMac and MBP..then you'd just mount the external drive in the same manner into the same location on both Machines..one that's done, you can copy over your library files on the iMac from ~/iTunes to your MBP, and better yet setup a synch between these 2 machines, so that they can keep the library in synch as you purchase things on either the MBP or iMac..

Regards

Ahh I see. Cheers for that. So I take it simply pointing iTunes on the MBP to the library file on the iMac isn't going to work? i.e. both copies of iTunes on the iMac and MBP use the exact same file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.