talk me into buying a first gen instead of waiting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
i want an ipad in the worst way...

i was waiting for the 2 to be released but after hearing some of the reviews and not being able to get one anywhere should i buy a 1????

i'm like talking about going out today and getting it!!

i don't know what to do:Grimmace:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you've already waited for the 2, why not wait for a few more weeks to get what you do want. You can always place an order with Apple and they'll ship it out to you when it's available..

If you do purchase the iPad and THEN playing with the iPad 2, you might regret your purchase and that's a worse situation to be in than not having either..:)

Regards

Reaction score
In your original post you imply some bad reviews do u have links for those?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If camera and the slimmer/lighter form factor isn't that big a deal to you, you can get the top of the line 1st Gen iPad from ATT for $529 (I paid $829 last year for mine). I just ordered one for a gift to one of my kids.

OP
a.j.c.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In your original post you imply some bad reviews do u have links for those?

actually i should have not said reviews..that was my fault.

what i meant was the screen is not much different than the first gen,and the speed isn't much faster..

but i didn't mean "bad reviews"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If someone is looking to purchase their first iPad...to me...it should be all about price (unless you REALLY need the cameras):

- a new 16 gig WiFi iPad 2 costs $499
- a refurbished 16 gig WiFi iPad 1 costs $349
- a used 16 gig WiFi iPad should cost somewhere around $275-$300 (IMHO)

So you may be comparing the difference between a new iPad 2 @$499...and a used iPad 1 @$275-$300. That price difference for some folks may make getting an iPad 1 very attractive. iPad 1's are still very good units (many less than 1 year old).

To me the biggest difference between the iPad 1 & iPad 2 is the cameras. If you don't need the cameras...then $275-$300 for an iPad 1 can be very attractive.:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. Of course the price comparisons will be different if you're considering different models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 8gb RAM, 750gb HD
I waited for the iPad 2 also but pulled the trigger when I saw the refurb 16gb for $349..Camera's not that big a deal since I can do FaceTime on the iPhone. I'm sure I'll upgrade when the gen 3 or 4 comes out but who knows.

OP
a.j.c.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the replys guys..and the decision is becoming harder lol

on one hand i like to have the latest and greatest..however yeah don't care to much about the camera or the thinner size..

more and more i am leaning to saving a few bucks and going with a 32gb wifi only 1st gen

ughh...

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue. In fact the day I decided I wanted an iPad was the day that Jobs made the keynote speech releasing the iPad2.

Anyway, as soon as I heard the screen resolution was the same it was easy, I bought the 1st gen at a knock down £200. Since then I've had a play on the iPad2 and it feel I made a decent decision, lighter and flatter form does indeed feel better in the hand, but it's a very small issue. The only thing that would have been a deal breaker was a higher res screen. Like a previous poster, I think the iPad2 is not a big enough jump to make it worth the investment. And by sticking with the iPad1 it means I get to look forward to the iPad3 without feeling I wasted my hard earned forking out for the iPad2 as a stop gap in the interim.

By the way, I'm totally not knocking everyone who HAS to have the latest thing, I'm the same with other pieces of kit like sailing boats. It's just in this instance I felt the iPad2 didn't offer enough benefit over the iPad1.

OP
a.j.c.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I went to best buy today only cause it's a bit closer than my local apple store.
They were completely sold out of first gen iPads

Heading over to apple as I type this
Gonna pull the trigger on a 64 gb wifi only

Reaction score
As someone mentioned, you should order the 64 GB 3G thru ATT and cancel the 3G after the 1st month. I personally am glad I got the iPad 2 as I wouldn't want it to be any heavier. That, and the added speed...they come out with newer apps that will eventually require the faster processor. It is tempting to buy a 1st generation iPad as a "spare" or for the kids.

Reaction score
You might want to look on YouTube for videos with side by side comparisons on the speed of pages loading while web surfing. THAT is why is decided to wait for an iPad 2.

OP
a.j.c.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well guys I did not pull the trigger on the first gen lol

A buddy of mine who works at the apple store convinced me to wait it out for ipad2

And I did get the AT&T email about the deal for an iPad 2
I think it was like 200 off which sounded like a score but I didn't read the full email

So guess I'm gonna wait it out after all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.