• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

This is why Apple’s killing it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This is why Apple’s killing it
This is why Apple’s killing it | 9 to 5 Mac This is why Apple’s killing it | Apple Intelligence

Read this link. And watch the video in it too. Seriously just watch it. Why?
Cause the videos and the whole article is simply stating one fact. "You already know how to use the ipad". Even before you ever used one. And this little kid in the video like 2 years old is using the ipad and really having a great time with it.

And I think this is why Apple are ahead of the pack. Anyone from your 2 year old child (With supervision I think is best so they can learn from the device), to your 85 year old grandmother. And with little to no time learning how to use it. It's just shove the device infront of your face and with a minute or 2, you know what to do and are happily creating or experiencing content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Can't say I understand the title. Is this a dialectic use of "killing it" with which I am unfamiliar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
great article...

apple is so far ahead in the tablet game

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
Can't say I understand the title. Is this a dialectic use of "killing it" with which I am unfamiliar?

killing it..as in winning,doing a great job..

more like killing the competition

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
killing it..as in winning,doing a great job..

more like killing the competition
What he said. But I have to admit in my part of the world this phrase is rarely if ever used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
I was watching this yesterday morning. My niece is the exact same way!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Ok - I just sent this to my wife! Our 2yr old little girl has been using my wife's iPad (although she calls it an iPod) since I got her one for Christmas. Prior to that she was completely comfortable picking up the wife's iPod touch and unlocking it - then scrolling to find her favorite little monkey game. We should have video'd that last year and sent it in :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What he said. But I have to admit in my part of the world this phrase is rarely if ever used.

It's an American colloquialism...

Reaction score
lol, I guess if you're over 40 or not an American but if you are you should know that phrase, come on now

Reaction score
Oh to be Steve Jobs (or anybody working at ) and see that a product you worked on end up in the hands of toddlers…simply because it works.

Sorry, there will be no Android in my future households.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I know this is "expected" of me, but it has to be said:

Sometimes you guys make me want to slap myself SO hard just to make sure I'm not just having a bad dream. Comments such as :
Oh to be Steve Jobs (or anybody working at ) and see that a product you worked on end up in the hands of toddlers…simply because it works.

Sorry, there will be no Android in my future households.
while I agree that it's awesome to see parents so involved with their children to the point of teaching them how to use an iPad, what exactly makes you think that such a thing isn't possible to do with an Android tablet ? I mean come on ! It's the same concept. Icons, swiping etc etc... If you think that your kid can't learn to use an Android tablet, then perhaps the child has a serious learning disability. And I'm not being sarcastic. At that age (2-4) a child's synapses are still growing and firing more than they ever will again it their life. That is the age when a person's brain develops the most.

To me, this is nothing more than really good marketing. (and yes, I realize this isn't an ad which was produced by Apple) Something Apple is better at than any of its competitors out there. Not to take away from how truly good any of their products are, but it only serves to increase their sales. This is something that Google STINKS at, and will likely be the main reason as to why you'll never see such mainstream acceptance within the ranks of Droid owners. I'm not saying this is a good thing.. quite the opposite. But it has nothing to do with the fact that you can put an Android tablet in a kids hands and have them learn to use it just the same as you would an iPad. And if you think that's false, you're not such a great teacher.

Doug

Reaction score
Pardon me for a comment that so lewdly pokes at Android. I have used an Android tablet before. The experience is different from that of an iPad, but when you boil down all the fat, the differences aren't so much the hardware, but the software (and the applications available). I still stand firm by my statement about Android.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
lol, I guess if you're over 40 or not an American but if you are you should know that phrase, come on now

I'm over 40 and I know what it means...

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But it has nothing to do with the fact that you can put an Android tablet in a kids hands and have them learn to use it just the same as you would an iPad. And if you think that's false, you're not such a great teacher.
I agree 100%. Yes the children will eventually learn how to use android devices. Will take a little longer cause the UI is not as friendly as iOS. But when something happens out of the ordinary on the android device or it's laggy, the kid won't understand "hey it's an android device, reboot it or whatever and it'll be good again". They only understand it work's and it don't work.

And I can't say any anything about an android device cause I used iOS first. But I first used an iOS device, the first ipad instore. And I knew how to use it. I read no instructions. I'd never used iOS before. I'd never used anything touch screen before. And I just knew what to do. And I thought that was pretty amazing. It was like already knew how to use it even though I never used it before.

Is Android like this? Yes but it's very unforgiving should anything bad happen. A lot more finickey.

Reaction score
Is Android like this? Yes but it's very unforgiving should anything bad happen. A lot more finickey.

It may be politically correct to say that the two are comparable (after all, we don't want to hurt anybody's feelings), but the sad fact is that it's just not true. When I unboxed my iPhone, I had an experience a kin to yours; I understood how to use it immediately.

When I unboxed my wife's EVO, I found every step I took in the Android ecosystem to require thought. Granted, it wasn't much thought, but it was clearly a more disjointed, less intuitive, experience. But that's what I would expect from an OS that uses the standards and copies the conventions which Apple established -- but need to break them in order to be different enough to avoid an outright lawsuit. It reminds me of Microsoft.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.