bootcamp restarts into question mark after partition

Reaction score
im trying to install windows 7 64 bit via external drive on my 2010 mbp.

when i partition the hdd for windows 7 and insert the cd, the mbp reboots and shows a folder with a question mark.

only way to get out of this is to restart the comp and hold alt to boot into osx. there is no option for windows 7 partition to select at that time

i deleted the win7 partition and tried it again and still same problem

any help?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
do you mean you are trying to install Windows 7 on the external? because that's not possible, its an anti piracy feature.

OP
C
Reaction score
sorry.. external optical drive

after i parition my internal drive for windows 7 and insert my ultimate 64bit cd in, the computer reboots and shows that question mark folder

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are you using bootcamp for all the partitioning?

OP
C
Reaction score
im using the boot camp assistant to partition the drive.. im not entirely sure what you mean by your question.

can i use another parition software to make one and then install windows that way?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, I was just making sure you weren't using disk utility. you should always do it through bootcamp. how big are you making the partition? is the disc you are using for windows a full retail disc or an OEM disc?

OP
C
Reaction score
the parition is 80gb. but even when the comp reboots and gets stuck. when i turn off the comp and restart and hold option.. it doesnt show a bootcamp parition at all (if it is suppose to)

it is a retail disk. the same disk i used in parallels to install and it worked fine

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what version of bootcamp have you got? you need version 3 for windows 7.

are you installing via bootcamp too yes?

OP
C
Reaction score
yes 3.0.2

my mbp is a 2010 model

i am doing everythign through bootcamp it just wont load up the windows installer when it resets

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try resetting the nvram (boot with cmd, option, p + r)

p.s what happens when you hold down option while restarting in bootcamp?

OP
C
Reaction score
nvram reset now it only shows a circle with a line through it... no more question mark folder

reset in bootcamp holding option brings up the windows cd and then my computer. clicking the windows cd shows the same error

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
heres the official support for the "not allowed" symbol. there is very little information on why it would happen with bootcamp...

Mac OS X: "Broken folder" icon, prohibitory sign, or kernel panic when computer starts

sounds like some important folders have been misplaced.

Do a back up before doing anything.

I would restore your hard drive to one partition (delete the bootcamp partition) and then try this.

Insert the Mac OS X Install CD.
Choose Restart from the Apple menu, then press and hold the C key immediately after the startup sound. Note: If you cannot start up from the Mac OS X CD, see "Mac OS X: Stops Responding While Starting Up From Mac OS X CD".
Use Disk Utility to check the disk.
If Disk Utility found no issues or successfully repaired any issues, then continue to the next step. If Disk Utility finds an issue that it cannot resolve, then use the erase and install procedure.
Start up from your Mac OS X volume.
If the issue is resolved, stop here. If not, continue to the next step.
Reinstall Mac OS X. If this does not resolve the issue, see "Mac OS X: Troubleshooting a Startup Issue".
If the issue remains, repeat the steps to reset NVRAM as described above.
Stop here. Do not continue to the next section.

OP
C
Reaction score
i went all the way up to the reinstall mac osx... i am not gonna reinstall the entire os again..ive already done that before

seems the question mark folder has come back

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when did you last do it, and is this the first time you have done bootcamp?

Reaction score
Same Issue Here

Hi Guys,

I've got the same issue over here, trying to install Windows 7 Professional x64 on a MacBook Air (original 13").

My symptoms seem to be exactly the same as the OP.

In addition I tried booting using rEFIt and got an "unable to load legacy driver" error. A search for this error on Google did not seem to produce any useful answers.

My copy of Windows was a legit download from MSDN e-academy. I used Disk Utility to burn the downloaded ISO.

Everything I did was through bootcamp assistant (3.0.4), which really was partitioning the hard drive, I gave windows a 20GB partition.

Some things I'm not clear about, what is the difference between Boot Camp and Boot Camp Assistant? And is there a Boot Camp 3.2 because I have read "Boot camp 3.2" on Apple support pages.

OP have you had any progress.

Thanks,
J.

Reaction score
I just tried with a Windows XP-SP3 Disc I burnt the same way and am having the same problem. :Confused:

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you could try deleting the bootcamp partition, then booting from OSX discs and doing a verify and repair disk on the startup volume.

Bootcamp Assistant is the setup program (kinda like a "wizard" on Windows). It does the partitioning and so on.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

I just found this http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...-windows-xp-mac-air-using-bootcamp-issue.html

Which is extremely frustrating because i just paid $75 for an LG External drive to do this exact installation.

So i guess tomorrow I'll be trying to return the drive and heading over to the genius bar. So much for my lazy sunday...

bear in mind that thread is a year old, and not necessarily the case with the new line of macbook airs.

Reaction score
Hey Rob, should've been clearer my MBA is the first model to come out, I guess the early 2008 model (wow has it really been that long). Only reason I'm trying to install Windows now is because my class requires us to use .Net and Visual Studio, ekh!

So this morning I made a trip down to the Genius Bar and installation with a Macbook Air External Superdrive went through without a hiccup. It would seem that Windows installation with a 3rd party external optical is not supported.

The guy at the Genius bar said it might be because the LG drive could not get the required power from the USB drive to work but I don't entirely trust that since I was able to do a fresh install of OS X using the LG drive and it had two USB connectors one dedicated for power that I plugged into a USB hub that was plugged into a wall socket. anyhow, whatever the reason for it not working without an Apple superdrive, looks like it doesn't.

Cheers,
J.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.