• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple under fire for 'gay conversion' app

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Some of those comments were quite ridiculous, and funny.

Apple need to take this app down. It's offensive, and does not represent Christianity. I am not religious, and i am not gay, but it is plain to see that this is just an "attack" on homosexuality.

I live with Christians (of differing churches, i'm not really sure what is called, the difference between say a protestant and a baptist and so on) and they are some of the friendliest people i have met, and definitely have nothing against homosexuals.

I can't believe that some people in this world still believe that homosexuality is "wrong", and to use religion as a "reason" for why it is "wrong" is quite frankly out of order.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can't believe that some people in this world still believe that homosexuality is "wrong", and to use religion as a "reason" for why it is "wrong" is quite frankly out of order.

Why is it "out of order"? I agree that the app is at the very least in poor taste and is offensive. I've never understood why those who claim to be so tolerant of others become intolerant when it comes to religion. Seems like a double standard to me, to there is another agenda there. If some are comfortable believing one way, why is it wrong for others to disagree, especially if tolerance is such a big deal?

I'm not particularly religious and I have nothing against homosexuals so don't feel like I'm attacking you from that sort of angle.

Reaction score
Soon after reading those comments…this thought occurred:

"In a world full of conflict, it is only human nature for it to happen in the first place, to let it happen, and to even let it exist. And it is human nature to ignore it and stay out of it."

You get the gist of it.

There's those of us who will argue and argue and try to make a point and try to win the other side (i.e. get them to shut up) and then there's those of us who will quietly sit back, and enjoy life - despite said conflict.

Who is to judge? And why do they even give a care? I don't care what religion they practice, why should they care what gender I prefer?

;)

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some the comments were pretty good.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry, i thought that might come off a little bit like that. I was trying very hard to make it as neutral as possible, or from a neutral point of view. i suppose "out of order" is the wrong phrase for it.

In my mind, it doesn't make any sense. I believe that we should all live and let live. People are the way they are, and trying to change people is against their nature. But then surely that would apply for the people that believe in this app....

But here's the thing, if God creates you, as a homosexual, then why would he want you to change it? This is what confuses me. This is one of the many reasons I am not religious. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Totally agree with you by the way. . . . . .

I can't believe that some people in this world still believe that homosexuality is "wrong", and to use religion as a "reason" for why it is "wrong" is quite shallow of them IMO

There fixed it ;)

EDIT : Now after reading the article, imagine the 'good' (subjective) they could do if they put all there effort and money into something worthwhile. What would happen if the gay community (no christian gays) made a app of sorts to turn christians around to be non believers ??

Thats right they would be the worst people in the world and everyone would turn against them . . . . . . I just cant understand there reasoning behind it :(

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha thanks ;)

its such a difficult area. all we can really do is treat others the way you would want to be treated.

Apps like this just move society backwards.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my mind, it doesn't make any sense. I believe that we should all live and let live. People are the way they are, and trying to change people is against their nature. But then surely that would apply for the people that believe in this app....

There I agree with you and this is the heart of my issue. Both sides want to change the other but while one side seems to fully admit they are not open minded (the people who wrote this App) the other is quite open minded (the homosexual community as a whole). Everyone wants acceptance of their ideas but claiming that you want this and then actively working against ideas that differ from yours smacks of a huge amount of hypocrisy. Intolerance of opposing views seems to be the one things both sides of the equation have in common, but only one of them openly admits their intolerance while the other hides it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got curious after reading this thread and the linked article so I downloaded the APP to see what all the fuss was about.

1) I don't see the hate or gay bashing mentioned anywhere in the APP (admittedly I haven't spent a lot of time with it). Here is a quote from the APP relative to their stance on "gay bullying"

"Exodus International affirms that gay-identified individuals and those who struggle with same-sex attraction are persons for whom Jesus Christ died and loves equally. Therefore, we strongly oppose bullying, name calling and acts of aggression against any individual or group of individuals for any reason. These actions have no place in our society and we must, instead, affirm behavior that validates the personal worth and dignity God bestows upon every human being."

2) As far as I can see the main purpose of this APP is to post event schedule for their ministry

It appears to me these people (and their APP) are nothing like the Westboro Jerks who go around protesting at soldier funerals. Bottomline IMO it is a real hot button in the gay community on whether or not sexual orientation is genetic or in-part learned. But that shouldn't mean that anyone who has an opposing opinion on that question is automatically a hater and gay basher.

Tempest in a teapot IMO.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I got curious after reading this thread and the linked article so I downloaded the APP to see what all the fuss was about.

I think what we all really want to know is...did it work? :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think what we all really want to know is...did it work? :D

Do you mean did I get converted one way or the other?

No I'm still pretty much the same as I was (more interest than I have energy to carry out). ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
do you mean did i get converted one way or the other?

No i'm still pretty much the same as i was (more interest than i have energy to carry out). ;)

lol :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Why is it "out of order"? I agree that the app is at the very least in poor taste and is offensive. I've never understood why those who claim to be so tolerant of others become intolerant when it comes to religion. Seems like a double standard to me, to there is another agenda there. If some are comfortable believing one way, why is it wrong for others to disagree, especially if tolerance is such a big deal?

I'm not particularly religious and I have nothing against homosexuals so don't feel like I'm attacking you from that sort of angle.

Because it's ok to be intolerant toward intolerance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.