MBP 13" resolution too low?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a MBP 13" and I'm loving virtually everything, but the one thing that I seem to be having an issue with is the low resolution, and perhaps the smaller screen size.

I find my eyes getting tired and strained looking at the screen. I primarily got this to write on the go, but staring at a Word document with the low resolution after a while really stresses my eyes.

I'm well within my 14-day grace period, so I'm considering if I should exchange it for the MBP 15". In terms of budget, I'd really prefer not to throw down the extra $600 (is it?) to go to 15"... plus, I'm particularly fond of the weight and size of the 13" -- it's a big reason why I got it.

Not sure what to do... and would appreciate some opinions. Am I the only one who finds the resolution too low; am I the only one who's eyes are bothered by this? Is the 15" worth the extra money for its higher resolution and larger screen? Anybody else been in my position before? What did you guys/gals do? And for anyone who has owned both the 13" and 15" before, is the weight difference (about 1+ pounds) really a big factor when lugging the laptop around?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I had the 13" and I had the same problem you had.
My Dad noticed that I was too close to the screen at times (I didn't notice anything) and since I already have eye troubles must have decided to get me the 15" on my next birthday.

Your going to gain this much screen size, which I think is a major +, and I don't really mind the extra 1 pound when carrying it.
The 2 Finder windows are the 13" screens size. And the outside area which they don't cover is the space gained by the 15" screen.
http://oc.tc/py9ww4cz3dw4ltr

Anyways, thats my 2¢

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I would love to have that extra bit of space. if money allows, i would go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have been using the MBP 13" for more than a year now. I have no problem with the screen size or resolution. If surfing the net, font size can be enlarge with two finger expansion. Same with word processing with zoom view to compensate for the 13in size screen. Viewing pictures and video can be compensated similarly. The only issue that I can think of is when playing intense, first person POV games. 13 in screen is too small for that.

It's the perfect size for on the go or at home for me. The weight difference may not seems like much but after taken it back and forth from home to work every day, the extra weight and size matter much more to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Unless I'm mistaken I think you might be confusing resolution and font size. A lower resolution would make everything bigger but it wouldn't be as sharp as a higher resolution screen. Although a higher resolution screen makes everything smaller unless all the text and images were enlarged to keep them proportionally the same.

In other words if you are complaining about fonts size then getting the 15 isn't exactly a solution because the resolution is higher so the fonts are still tiny. My eyes also bothered me when reading text on my 15 but I reduced the pain by enlarging everything I could.

If you are using Microsoft Word then look to see if there is a zoom feature. I know most word processing applications have them. You can zoom beyond 100% so that the text are larger. You can do this in a few other applications too like web browsers. Also you can enlarge text and folder icons in Finder. Doing these things has helped me reduce my eye strain from the high resolution of my MPB 15".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Another solution is to buy a large external monitor and use it while at home. That's what I do with my 13" machine. Traveling is another matter but that might not matter to you if you have young eyes. I don't. ;D

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, by the way. I'm reluctant to give up the size/weight and the extra $600 bucks, so solutions are fantastic.

Is there a way to have larger fonts system-wide? I'm not seeing that feature in the System Preference menus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.