XCode 4 and C++

Reaction score
I am curious to know if you can use C++ to make windowed apps using XCode 4. I know you can make terminal-based programs easily, but I'm not really interested in that. I've used the tutorial to make a basic "Hello world!" windowed app using Objective-C, but learning C++ appeals to me more than Objective-C.

Thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To make GUI applications on Mac, you'll have to use the Cocoa framework which is for Obj-C..I'm sure you can find wrappers for C++ or Python or a whole much more..

But if you really intend to be serious about writing applications for Mac and Cocoa, you should do it in Obj-C..

And if you're learning a language right now anyway, why not learn the native language of Mac. THe concepts you learn as part of Obj-C (object oriented programming) are the same that you'd use in C++ later on if you wish with a slightly modified syntax..

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmm, ok I'll try that.
Any advice on where to find an ebook (preferably, but not necessarily, free) on Objective-C from scratch?
Should I start with only obj-C, or obj-C integrated with Cocoa?

NOTE: I have minimal (emphasis) experience with object oriented programmed, with the LPC code library, which is based heavily on C++. Still, I'd prefer to start from scratch, as it has been a while and I'm a little rusty.

Thanks again!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Here are a couple of links to start with:

Loading…
Loading…

You can start with any book that targets Objective-C, if it targets the Mac Cocoa framework as well that much the better..

But if you want to get serious about the programming, any of these books will help greatly and at prices as low as $15, that's not bad at all:

Cocoa and Objective-C: Up and Running - Google eBookstore
Learn Objective-C on the Mac - Google eBookstore
Learning Cocoa with Objective-C - Google eBookstore

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.