• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AT&T Agrees to Buy T-Mobile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
it's business..who cares who buys who

as long as there is an iphone in my hand thats really all i care about

T-Mobile was the only carrier who consistently upset the apple cart on pricing. They drove down or at least kept pricing industry-wide static. Without them the wireless cartel of AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will continue to restrain allowable use while increasing price without any actual competition.

AT&T as a corporation hates the consumer. Verizon is really the same way, they just hide it better (sorry to all the VZW fanbois out there, but it's the truth). Sprint, that company has been the walking dead for at least the last 5 years waiting for someone, anyone to just buy them or shoot them to put them out of their misery.

If the FCC approves the AT&T - Tmo merger, there's no ground for them to deny the eventual VZW - Sprint merger which then leaves us with a national duopoly run by two consumer hating mega-corporations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i understand and agree but do we have any control over these buy outs??

Yes, it's called your government. If they do the right thing, they should be enforcing anti-trust laws created to protect the consumer and the market place. However, given that corporations for the most part own the US government at this point, that rarely happens.

Reaction score
This is terrible news. I hate AT&T, and avoid working with them whenever possible. As a result, my personal cell phones, all of which are on T-Mobile (my work iPhone is, obviously, on AT&T) will be assimilated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I'm thinking a lot of the T-Mobile people may hop boat to Sprint if the prices jump.

From what I here, T-Mobile and Sprint were talking about a merge a couple weeks ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm thinking a lot of the T-Mobile people may hop boat to Sprint if the prices jump.

From what I here, T-Mobile and Sprint were talking about a merge a couple weeks ago.

You mean until Sprint is bought up by Verizon?

Reaction score
Yeah, this blows. My unlimited T-mobile plan is 30 bucks less than a comparable plan on ATT and Verizon. I sure hope the feds kill this merger. I'd like T-Mobile and Sprint to stick around.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't bet on the US government enforcing anti-trust laws by killing the buy out. AT&T has plenty of lobbyists in DC plus it can potentially be a good thing for the unions. (AT&T is unionized, and this can get them more members.) And guess which party the unions support?

And with the economy the way it is here in the US, the buy out will be looked upon as a boost rather than a negative.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yeah, this blows. My unlimited T-mobile plan is 30 bucks less than a comparable plan on ATT and Verizon. I sure hope the feds kill this merger. I'd like T-Mobile and Sprint to stick around.

Consider that there has to be a reason why DT is willing to sell T-Mo in the first place. Perhaps that great pricing plan that keeps customers with them isn't going to enable them to survive and the need became apparent to raise prices. Perhaps it was just easier to get out from under the money losing rock and move on. They aren't likely to be selling it because it's a booming and profitable business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Consider that there has to be a reason why DT is willing to sell T-Mo in the first place. Perhaps that great pricing plan that keeps customers with them isn't going to enable them to survive and the need became apparent to raise prices. Perhaps it was just easier to get out from under the money losing rock and move on. They aren't likely to be selling it because it's a booming and profitable business.

DT's main reason for wanting to sell Tmo USA is because they're not doing so well back at home and have mountains of debt they need to pay down. Tmo USA is actually fairly profitable for them but they just don't have the money to invest in expand it here like they should.

And since DT needs the money from the sale, Tmo USA was really their only option to sell to get them the kind of cash they need.

Reaction score
Whatever the reason it stinks for consumers. I remember when AirTran Airways stopped servicing Charleston, SC where I live. They were the last low cost carrier and airfares almost doubled overnight. Fortunately Southwest decided to add Charleston recently and that has driven airfares back down. If this goes through the big loser is the customer. Prices will go up if the low cost alternatives are swallowed up by the big boys AT&T and Verizon.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DT's main reason for wanting to sell Tmo USA is because they're not doing so well back at home and have mountains of debt they need to pay down. Tmo USA is actually fairly profitable for them but they just don't have the money to invest in expand it here like they should.

And since DT needs the money from the sale, Tmo USA was really their only option to sell to get them the kind of cash they need.

Ok, makes sense. It wasn't the US division that was going south it was the parent company. I guess money is money and when you need some you need some. to bad they had to sell their something they were doing right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, makes sense. It wasn't the US division that was going south it was the parent company. I guess money is money and when you need some you need some. to bad they had to sell their something they were doing right.

Yeah, you can see part of the issue when DT says they'll use $19 billion just to pay down debt after the sale.

While T-Mobile USA is currently profitable for them, the issue longer-term is that they didn't have the money to invest in buying spectrum for a 4G rollout because DT has way too much debt at home. This would have turned what was profitable into a mess in a few years. Selling is the only viable option for them.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While T-Mobile USA is currently profitable for them, the issue longer-term is that they didn't have the money to invest in buying spectrum for a 4G rollout because DT has way too much debt at home. This would have turned what was profitable into a mess in a few years. Selling is the only viable option for them.

So in the end they did see the fact that the profitability was likely to go away which would likely have meant passing costs on to the consumer etc. My original statement wasn't that far off then it just wasn't "right now".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So in the end they did see the fact that the profitability was likely to go away which would likely have meant passing costs on to the consumer etc. My original statement wasn't that far off then it just wasn't "right now".

Well we're just making an assumption they didn't have a plan. All that we know for certain is that DT itself needed the cash to pay down it's huge debt-load.

I mean it wasn't that long ago people thought TMo didn't have a 3G strategy and now they have the fastest 3G network. So we can't really be sure what their 4G strat would have been.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.