• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AT&T Agrees to Buy T-Mobile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
i just got done reading that article!

Hopefully this means att will gain better physical (geographical) 3G coverage because I wouldn't mind having a fast data network than my .24 MB/s download speed from Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Considering they use different spectrum for 3G, it won't improve anything there.

This is a sad day. The only one of the "big 4" carriers to ever do anything pro-consumer is done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If so, since I honestly don't know much about cellphone networks, why would they even acquire them? Other than their consumer base....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Other than their consumer base....

I'm sure there's some valuable spectrum, but this is almost certainly 100% about customer base. AT&T has more spectrum than they're using right now so they don't really need what T-Mo has.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Future competitive pricing down the drain, if T-Mobile were to get the iPhone... and had this not happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Interesting. T Mobile have the iPhone here in the UK, but they have shocking customer service and add stuff to your bill too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
AT&T Agrees to Buy Deutsche Telekom

Deutsche Telecom as in...T-Mobile…..

Just to clarify: they're only buying Deutsche Telekom's US unit.

schweb said:
This is a sad day. The only one of the "big 4" carriers to ever do anything pro-consumer is done.

Over here in germany, where T-Mobile is the ex-state-monopoly and still the dominant carrier, it's exactly reversed: T-mobile overcharges, has terrible customer support and has been losing subscribers to its smaller, pro-consumer competitors for years.

The only reason you would choose t-mobile here is because of the slightly better network coverage or because they had the iPhone exclusively for a few years. Thankfully, it became available on all carriers last year.

But thought it was worth throwing out there: T-Mobile USA may have been customer friendly, but only because they had to be.

It's an odd move though: as schweb pointed out, the frequency issue means AT & T won't improve their coverage, so I'm wondering what the play is here. Will they keep the t-mob brand? I suppose they'll have to, otherwise how would they explain that some AT&T customers (on the ex-Tmobile network) can't get the iPhone, while others can?

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's an odd move though: as schweb pointed out, the frequency issue means AT & T won't improve their coverage, so I'm wondering what the play is here. Will they keep the t-mob brand? I suppose they'll have to, otherwise how would they explain that some AT&T customers (on the ex-Tmobile network) can't get the iPhone, while others can?

Easy. When it's time to upgrade they just sell you an AT&T iPhone. AT&T could also work with Apple to have all future AT&T iPhones work in both data bands and take advantage of T-Mos existing 3G network as well as AT&Ts. Since they will now own T-Mos spectrum they can upgrade the AT&T network to work on those freqs as well. After all, you could always unlock an AT&T iPhone and move it to T-Mo in the US, it was only the 3G data that was the issue. This might also give AT&T a further jump on 4G since T-Mo has been advertising it for some time now.

Sure makes those T-Mo commercials mocking AT&T look funny now though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...Sure makes those T-Mo commercials mocking AT&T look funny now though.

lol I had to go back and look at a few with the chick in the dress. It's just like Verizon mocking the iPhone being "all pretty" and then they get the iPhone lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The funny thing is that about 8 years or so ago, there was talk of DT buying AT&T (the real one, not today's at&t) but that was stopped by US rules on foreign ownership of US telcos.

Sad really, can't imagine DT would be any worse as an owner of AT&T than SBC turned out to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
T-Mobile gets the iPhone, Apple gets fast new HSPA+ network

T-Mobile gets the iPhone, Apple gets fast new HSPA+ network
AppleInsider | T-Mobile gets the iPhone, Apple gets fast new HSPA+ network
AT&T's $39 billion deal to acquire T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom will not only create America's largest mobile carrier but also the largest US iPhone carrier by adding 33.7 million T-Mobile subscribers to AT&T's network of about 95.5 million, creating a total of about 130 million users on a network with ultra fast HSPA+ coverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wonderful. Now even less competition, and less incentives for any of the now 3 companies to offer better pricing schemes. Would this not insinuate that ATT will now have a virtual monopoly in the US GSM market ? How can that be a good thing for anybody ?

Or maybe I just don't know bupkis about this business and should zip my flapper.

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1877 - 1984 Ma Bell reigns... 2011 - ? Ma Bell reigns again. You can't stop a determined woman. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would this not insinuate that ATT will now have a virtual monopoly in the US GSM market ? How can that be a good thing for anybody ?

Yeah, but it's not as a big a deal as it sounds. Since both AT&T and Verizon are moving to LTE (and I'll bet Sprint eventually gives up on it's stupid WiMax strat and goes to LTE also). So being having a monopoly on GSM in a few years will be like saying they have a monopoly on analog or TDMA today.

But I've read a few articles on this and I tend to agree with them, that I think it will be highly unlikely that the FCC and DOJ will end up approving this, especially under a Democratic administration. I mean the FCC just very recently released a report stating there was already a dangerous concentration of spectrum with the national carriers, can't believe after writing that they'd say "oh uh dur, let's say yes to this" unless they're total idiots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I actually like T-mobile!! I always keep a t-mobile phone(BlackBerry 7150)handy for when I go to Europe........NOOOOOOO!!!!!
>(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
it's business..who cares who buys who

as long as there is an iphone in my hand thats really all i care about

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
it's business..who cares who buys who

as long as there is an iphone in my hand thats really all i care about
You will care when your iphone data all of a sudden costs more. And all these mergers and buyouts to affect rate plan prices too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
i understand and agree but do we have any control over these buy outs??

companies are always going to merge or buy out smaller like companies..

in the end the consumer gets screwed in this case yes more expensive bills..

but at the end of the day we can't do anything about it..

thats why i said what ever happens happens.. as long as i have my phone of choice i'm happy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.