More frustration...

Reaction score
So when I was pondering about whether or not to make the switch to Apple a few months ago, one of my biggest things was I did not want to have any problems concerning compatibility. It is very annoying to me when everything is harder to do with my Mac as opposed to my friends PC's. Now don't get me wrong, I love the machine, but I get extremely frustrated with things like "we could not open the application because there is no specified application to open this with, etc".

My roommate got pictures developed yesterday and also got them on a CD so he could put them on his computer. He puts the CD into his PC laptop and everything is extremely easy, picture viewing, saving, etc. I put the CD into my PB, and I am able to view the pictures, but I can do nothing else. When I try to save the pictures it says the picture could not be saved... and when I tryed to open the Wal-Mart or AutoRun things it says that those cannot be opened, so basically I cannot put the pictures onto my laptop. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Like I said, I love these machines, I just hate having to deal with this type of thing, when every PC I work with these problems never happen. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Are the picture files on the cd when you look at in it in Finder? If they are, just highlight them and drag them into the main window in iPhoto. Or if you don't have iPhoto you can also just drag them to your desktop.

Usually the only time it's harder to do stuff on the Mac is when you try to keep thinking about the more difficult way of doing it on Windows and try to do that on your Mac. The simplest thing possible is always what works on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
TOYOTA said:
So when I was pondering about whether or not to make the switch to Apple a few months ago, one of my biggest things was I did not want to have any problems concerning compatibility. It is very annoying to me when everything is harder to do with my Mac as opposed to my friends PC's. Now don't get me wrong, I love the machine, but I get extremely frustrated with things like "we could not open the application because there is no specified application to open this with, etc".

My roommate got pictures developed yesterday and also got them on a CD so he could put them on his computer. He puts the CD into his PC laptop and everything is extremely easy, picture viewing, saving, etc. I put the CD into my PB, and I am able to view the pictures, but I can do nothing else. When I try to save the pictures it says the picture could not be saved... and when I tryed to open the Wal-Mart or AutoRun things it says that those cannot be opened, so basically I cannot put the pictures onto my laptop. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Like I said, I love these machines, I just hate having to deal with this type of thing, when every PC I work with these problems never happen. Thanks again.
It sounds like you are still thinking Windows, and not that used to the Mac yet.
If you wanted to copy the pictures, all you would need to do is drag and drop. You should be able to bring up the CD's contents in a Finder window, then drag and drop them to your Mac. Its that simple. You don't need an "autorun" or other .exe program, those are for Windows only.

Now as far as compatibility, I have yet to find anything that I can do on a Windows machine that I can't do on a Mac (with the exception of some games). It sounds like you are maybe just trying to continually run Windows apps or files in a Mac world.

EDIT: Looks like schweb beat me to the punch! :black:

Reaction score
I kinda agree with Toyota's premise about the little things that frustrate you because you can't do it with mac as easily as you could with windows.

In my case for instance would be identifying a sharepoint...it's easy on a PC but not a MAC...if it weren't for the freeware sharepoints...I'd be screwed in trying to learn Samba... Even after reading all I could find, it still didn't work quite right.. but that's just one case....others are like surfing the web and clicking on a streaming videos not playing the way they easily do on the PC. I've got more of little things like this that are on my list to do...

I've kinda come to terms with all this though...and accept that a MAC is just not a PC...and having moved to several countries....you just have to suck it up and learn to adapt.... I love my Powerbook...but I'm still finding my way about this beastie.

I also recognize the market domination Windows has...ah well....what's next...

:baron:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.