Hit the IIgs jackpot! (Pics)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac Retina - 3.2 i5 - 8GB - 256GB SSD - R9 M380 GPU
So yesterday I was hunting for computers on craigslist... I happened to be looking in the free section and came across "apple ii gs". Description said "free IIGS, 4 floppy drives, hard drive, monitor, system, system saver, keyboard, printer, all cables, and a ton of floppies."

So I panicked and frantically emailed the person and was the first to get a hold of him. Drove 22 miles there to Westlake get it...and was glad to.

What was included - system, color monitor, Kensington System Saver IIGS, 2 3.5" drives, 3 5.25 drives (One's a Laser brand), a 80MB external hard drive, ImageWriter II (Which DOES work!), cables, books, and a TON of programs. Everything works, and the hard drive has System 6 loaded on it with Appleworks and a few other programs.

Pics - Click to expand

Yes, thekeyboard's dirty, I havent cleaned it yet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Quite a haul you got there...congratulations!:) It's really awesome that you basically got a complete setup...including software...so you can start playing with it right away, without having to search for other items.

Of course as you know...speed is the key. Be the first one to e-mail the seller & be the first one to get to the sellers home!

Congrats again,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I have been having some pretty good luck lately... mainly because I have my eyes glued to craigslist as much as I possibly can.

Only bad thing is I am having a hard time using it. It took me a while to figure out how to get into the menu to adjust settings and such, and also took me a while to boot from the hard drive (Read the HD interface card manual and figured it out). I also figured out how to boot from disks.

I have a IIe, but the furthest I went with it was sticking Number Munchers or some other game in it and booting from the disk.

I'm just glad I finally have a IIgs... I've wanted one since I first used one in 1994 in Kindergarten. We played MANY education games on them, including Oregon trail. 1994-1995 was the last year our school had them, the year after they switched to the all-in-ones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That's a great find, keep on to it.

Puts my old (working) SE30 to shame, that's almost pre macintosh ;D

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
sweeet. well done!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats I had used some II+ and IIe machines but the GS was the first computer I owned. Kept it running long past the point where it was hard to get software. Enjoy it.

Reaction score
Did u get load runner? II gs was the first computer my family owned. Congrats on the good find

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...

So I have an addiction to this GS. I have been plastered to it for hours on end for the past few days... learning BASIC programming and playing games.

I think I may have a problem! I even went so far as to go on a search online to find GS specific abandonware to put on floppies to play on it. My problem is I am not sure how to get it on the floppies from a Windblows PC.

I might have to put the HD in my MDD on the SCSI card to put games on it.

I am William, and I have a problem.

BTW - For those that want to know, the computer has a RAM-GS 4MB expansion card and a RAMFast Revision D SCSI card, in which I found out that both still fetch over $100 a piece!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I may have a problem! I even went so far as to go on a search online to find GS specific abandonware to put on floppies to play on it. My problem is I am not sure how to get it on the floppies from a Windblows PC.

I'm guessing what you may mean to say is...you can't get on the internet with your IIgs...and if there is IIgs software on the internet (abandonware)...how do you get it on floppies so you can use the software on the IIgs.:)

I'm thinking that you need either a Mac or Windows computer with a floppy drive (same floppy disk size [3.5" or 5.25"] & density as the IIgs)...which is also capable of getting on the internet. Have the floppy disk formatted for the II gs...then you just download directly to a floppy in the disk drive.

Relatively easy if you have all the proper hardware...tough if you don't.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.