PowerMac G5 VITAL APPS MISSING!?! PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
I accidentally deleted some things without checking what they were (stupidly) and I was wondering if it was possible to get them back by downloading or re-installing OS X 10.5??
Is there ANY way of saving these vitals?

The missing applications include: System preferences, Shutdown, Safari etc..

Please get back to me ASAP! :(

Thankyou

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I accidentally deleted some things without checking what they were (stupidly) and I was wondering if it was possible to get them back by downloading or re-installing OS X 10.5??
Is there ANY way of saving these vitals?

You pretty much have to reinstall OS 10.5 (if this is the version you're using). I'm pretty sure "System Preferences: and "Shutdown" are not available as separate individual downloads. Get out your 10.5 install disk...and just do a reinstall...no biggie.:)

If you don't have an OS 10.5 install disk...then the true cost of this mistake will be realized.:(

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, No I don't have it, I didn't get them when I bought it from eBay, I just recently sold it and now he want's a full refund even though I don't have the money so I am just seeking advice for something that wasn't my fault? :L

Thanks again :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, No I don't have it, I didn't get them when I bought it from eBay, I just recently sold it and now he want's a full refund even though I don't have the money so I am just seeking advice for something that wasn't my fault? :L

Thanks again :)

Ahh...I see. Does this mean that you don't have the computer in your possession to "make things right"...or did you sell it, but haven't shipped it yet?

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could try (re)installing the latest combo update for Leopard (10.5) in the hopes that the missing apps have been updated and are part of the update. It's a bit of a long shot but worth a try.

Safari can be downloaded here.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks vansmith,

and yes nick, i sent it off, and bought a new computer with the money, now that I don't have the money anymore I cannot give him a refund.. so i can't 'make things right' this is the difficult situation I am in :(:(.

and I am more than likely to get bad 'rep' on eBay because of it :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and yes nick, i sent it off, and bought a new computer with the money, now that I don't have the money anymore I cannot give him a refund.. so i can't 'make things right' this is the difficult situation I am in :(:(

I guess I'm confused why you shipped this computer when you had to have known that it wouldn't run/boot properly with some important OS software/apps missing.

Please don't take this the wrong way (not picking on you)...in post #3 you mentioned that this problem wasn't your fault. But in post #1 you mentioned that you "accidentally deleted some things". So it certainly would seem like you are the responsible person for the problem. Just being honest.

Finally...bad reputation may not be the only negative outcome of this e-Bay transaction. If the buyer paid via Paypal...they can open a dispute...and Paypal will make a decision. If Paypal decides in the buyers favor...you will be forced to repay the buyer their money.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A possible solution would be to purchase a retail copy of Leopard and send it to the customer. This may be expensive but could be cheaper depending on how much you sold the computer for. This, of course, depends on whether or not this is a suitable solution for both you and the customer.

OP
J
Reaction score
A possible solution would be to purchase a retail copy of Leopard and send it to the customer. This may be expensive but could be cheaper depending on how much you sold the computer for. This, of course, depends on whether or not this is a suitable solution for both you and the customer.

would you mind linking me to the cheapest copy you can find please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
would you mind linking me to the cheapest copy you can find please?

You can usually purchase a full install/retail version of a Mac OS install DVD for $100-$125 on e-Bay...if you're REALLY lucky sometimes less.

As Vansmith mentioned...depending on how much you sold the computer for...this may or may not be a financially viable solution for you (since Powermac G5's usually sell for around $200-$300 on e-Bay)...and it may or may not be acceptable to the buyer of the computer.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
You pretty much have to reinstall OS 10.5 (if this is the version you're using). I'm pretty sure "System Preferences: and "Shutdown" are not available as separate individual downloads. Get out your 10.5 install disk...and just do a reinstall...no biggie.:)

If you don't have an OS 10.5 install disk...then the true cost of this mistake will be realized.:(

Good luck,

- Nick

Would Pacifist be able to parse out those two as installer packages? I would almost think that System prefs might be it's own package, but I don't know.

I've used Pacifist a number of times in the past to reinstall specific packages, but never those precise ones.
typotux.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.