PC SATA drive to MacBook Pro problems

Reaction score
I took out a PC SATA drive and tried to hook it up to my macbook pro for use as an external drive but it doesn't read for some reason and calls for me to erase everything that was on it. Any way to not erase things so that it will mount on desktop? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The PC drive is likely formatted as NTFS. A Mac can read but not write to by default to a NTFS drive. You will need a special driver to write to that drive. That's why Disk Utility, wants you to erase the drive. If you intend to use the drive for your Mac only, you can erase and format it to HFS Journaled. If you want to use it for both your Mac and PC, format it to FAT-32.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No!!!!

Formatting will erase all data on the drive.

If you don't have that data backed up, first suggestion is to do so.
Second would be to grab Paragon's NTFS for OS X to enable writing to NTFS volumes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.