External Hard Drive and Virus Control

Reaction score
OK, I just bought my first iMAc Friday night. I am getting used to it. The part that I really can not get a handle on is Virus, Maleware, etc. I have all of my music on an external hard-drive. Should I scan it before I hook into it or am i safe?

OP
A
Reaction score
I read that but I guess that with all of the viruses and stuff that I had on my regular PC, its just kinda hard to get used to the fact that iMacs are pretty much immune to that stuff. Although it was one of my main reasons for getting an iMac, i just wanted to make sure I understood. Thats all. Is kinda like one of those internal battles in my brain and I just want to protect my investment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I understand completely, but I wouldn't worry about those things if I was you.
I've been using Mac for 6+ years now and haven't had any virus/malware on my computer ever!

C

chas_m

If you want to protect your investment, buy a backup drive and make regular backups (using Time Machine or whatever other method you prefer). Get AppleCare if you haven't already done so. Keep the software up-to-date. Don't pirate software (what few Mac malwares are out there almost all arrive via pirated software).

You're really much more at risk of falling for a phishing scam or getting tracked by a web ad than you are getting any malware. Common sense still rules the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I read that but I guess that with all of the viruses and stuff that I had on my regular PC, its just kinda hard to get used to the fact that iMacs are pretty much immune to that stuff.

Immune is not the right word. Virus could be written for the Mac, none are out there in the wild, but at least one Trojan does exist online. The fact is none have been written that have been released or have harmed the community at large.

In the end though, you're pretty safe.

OP
A
Reaction score
ok, thanks folks. I plan on getting another external hard drive soon. I appreciate you help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And should there ever be a Mac OS X virus, the news will be trumpeted around the world by the victorious media so we will al be aware of it. Never ever give up your password to download anything!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.