MacBook Air Starting and Shutting Down Slower

Reaction score
When I first got my MBAir the start up only took 15 seconds and the shut down was just a few seconds as well.
I loaded all my programs on it without a hitch. Still no delays.
Then I went to bootcamp to try to install Windows, and decided to uninstall Windows, deleted the bootcamp partition and repartitioned the harddrive back to the original size.
Did repair disk permissions a few times, all is good.
But now the start up takes 45 seconds instead of 15 seconds and the shutdown takes twice as long as before.

Any suggestions on what I can do to bring the start up/ shut down back to the fast mode?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Head into System Preferences - Startup Disk and select your OS X partition and restart. See what that does to your boot time. Try rebooting a couple of times.

shut down time is going to be tied to the applications you have/had open.

OP
B
Reaction score
Boot time is no different. Shut down time is the same whether I have used a program or immediately shut down without opening any program.
Is there a way to remove the network disk startup option from the System Preferences/Startup Disk?

OP
B
Reaction score
What if I reinstall the installation flash stick that came with the MacBook Air? Would that set it back to the original startup quickness?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you delete the Boot Camp partition? You mentioned that you reset the partition back to the original size? That implies that you did not use the Boot Camp assistant to remove Windows.

If you had used the BC assistant to remove Windows, there would be no need to repartition the drive as it would have done that for you automatically. You possibly fragmented your drive by not using the BC assistant. (If you did use the BC assistant, ignore the above.)

You probably do need to erase the drive and reinstall from the flash key that was supplied. That should get you back to the original startup. Remember, you're dealing with flash storage (SSD) on the Air, not an ordinary hard drive. You don't want to introduce any fragmentation as that will slow things down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you're back to normal startup. Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.