• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Saving dvd's to hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi im new here so not sure if this is the right place to post this question.ive got a 13 inch macbook pro about 6 months old and travel alot.i want to save dvds that i rent from the store to the hard drive so i can watch them on the road but the mac doesnt give you the option to save a dvd like a PC does.i dont need to burn them to a disk later just save them.also most dvds are encrypted theese days so id prob need something to sort that out to. cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well many commercial DVD's have things called blockers built in to prevent just this as the copyright owner/s thinks it is piracy.

OP
C
Reaction score
so can it be done?ive been trying to search the forums but my mac keeps freezing lol i cant seem to search on any kind of forum today?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not to mention that making copies of DVDs you have rented from your local store is illegal. The number 1 DVD ripper software (that believes in fair use) on the windows side would ban you from their forums (even after paying them for their software) for just hinting that you are doing such a thing.

This discussion is definitely off limits here. Please see our Community Guidelines, along with PLEASE READ: Important information about DVD Ripping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.