Ready to hang it up!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But I have not given up yet, and thanks to everyone on here I'm trying my best to make this work. But remember what I said about "Old dogs?"

Don't "lean" too much on that "old dogs" excuse!;) You would be surprised how many older members we have that are very proficient with both Macintosh (OS X) and Windows based computers.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
pigoo speaks the truth.

My father is 52 years old and can barely TURN ON a computer...barely, and that's the truth.

So talking about anything further than turning the computer on is a literal nightmare. But when it comes to him using OS X or Windows....he always finds his way to what he wants on OS X. He always finds his way to shutting off Windows ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm teaching my friend who is in his sixties and who has only ever used Windows to use his brand new Macbook Pro, and while there is a learning curve with some things, he's already getting used to it more and more, to the point where he doesn't need as much of my help as he used to. It's only been two weeks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
If you are a 'paper manual' kind of guy and relate better to a manual in book form than the video and help stuff on the computer, try the 'Missing Manual' series by David Pogue.

The iPhoto 09 manual is bigger than my Mac Mini! A little study resolved my problems with iPhoto. I was trying to manage iPhoto like 'My Pictures' on my old PC and it just does not work. With some study I understood that the 'photos' section is a permanent file of the photos and that the 'events' section is an organization of the photos, things got easier. The 'photos' and 'events' are like an archive of the originals. If you want an album, you can create albums, and albums within albums. The original photos are still in the 'photos' section so you won't accidentally delete them.
On a PC you have to be careful to distinguish between 'move' and 'copy' or photos get lost or deleted. No so on the Mac using iPhoto. You can copy a photo into an album and then use iPhoto to modify the photo without changing the original.

Now that I have learned how to work iPhoto I like it better than 'My Pictures' on a PC.

One feature of a Mac is that there are very few 'patches' or 'updates' compared to a PC. The Microsoft business model of early release and continuous patches sucks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Repeat after me

"Change is good, change is my friend." I have no connectivity problems at all with my MB Pro, iPads, iPhones, or PCs. Look to your router.

As to iPhoto - read the book or use the traditional alternative, Photoshop Elements. I use Aperture, Photoshop, and iPhoto and each has advantages though I am most comfortable with Photoshop having used it for years and years. I am a photographer.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
Hi guys,
Right now I'm sitting at Burger King trying out their WiFi and it works great!! Very fast too. No problems logging on after entering their phone number at first.

From here I'm headed to my next 1 on 1 class at our Apple Store here.
Last night I was able to load all of my photos in less than 15 min. on to my MBP while on the phone with a mac friend of mine in Chicago.
They all reside in "My Documents" and are in the same order as they were on my PC.
Today I hope to learn just iPhoto can do for me and my photos. If nothing, then so be it.
At least I was able to what I've been trying to do for the last month.
I think this great machine has finally found a warm home!!!! It is truly a fantastic computer!!! Again, thanks to everyone for all the help!!!
Russ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
A job well done boys....let's pack'er up and take'er home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Nice one mate. See you just needed a little pushing in the right direction from the forum. Im glad you are giving it another go than just giving up on it bc you dont know the system.

Now that is smart thinking.

@ThePope Ditto :)

Reaction score
If your willing to give up bc iPhoto sucks then mate go back to the Windows Box you so muchly want.

LOL i find it funny on a $2000 odd machine bc iPhoto sucks you are getting rid of it

I, if it was me would be giving it another go, but as i said i think you have your mind set now.

Cheers
Wow, you must eat plenty of lemons to be so bitter...

Not everything is for everyone. There's no need to be so offended because someone prefers Windows to Mac OS...

Your harsh tone is ironic, considering what your sig says about zealots!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Not everything is for everyone. There's no need to be so offended because someone prefers Windows to Mac OS...

We're all friends here. Let's all play nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

WHAT ?!?!?!?!?

The point i was making is that on such a expensive machine the OP wanted to give up bc of, granted the connection problem, which in this forum we would of and did come up with a solution, but basically bc of one App !!!!

If he was talking about a Windows box and he couldnt work out the Windows Photo Viewer, my comments would of been around about the same uhum what was it ??? oh thats right bitterness . . . . . .

Time for that cup of tea fall of sugar to sweeten myself up ;P

And before you go trying to put me on the same page as a Zealot go through my posts and threads mate and you will see im far from it. I no  are not perfect and there is so many things that i dont like about the way they like to keep the ""control"".

Zealot ..... Me ...... I laugh at that !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Tattster.... I don't know where that post came from, but hey..... We all know you're sweet as sugar mate :p
Just keep on smiling :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tattster.... I don't know where that post came from, but hey..... We all know you're sweet as sugar mate :p
Just keep on smiling :D

Kane 'ole mate, im always smiling. . . . Well i have been the last 2 weeks anyways lol

and Shhhh dont go letting the world no, i have a rep to uphold lol

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
Hey guys,
As I said a ways back, I really appreciate ALL of your comments and suggestions. They all made me sit back, grab some coffee, and really think. After reading all of the replies and trying to make things work, I have succeeded and I'm so glad that I didn't do anything I would regret down the road. I know I still have a lot to learn, and I also know I'll never know everything about this fantastic machine. But I do know where to go if I have questions. Sometimes somebody has to hit me up side of my head with a brick before I can open my eyes and put things in perspective.
Again, many thanks to all of you for being so kind and taking the time to help this old fart out!! Russ

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you just keep on trucking and if you need any further assistance, post back. Have fun with your new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.