sticker on macbook pro

Reaction score
Hello,
so I was dumb and put a sticker on the bottom of my macbook pro that i bought in december and now I need it off because its embarrassing to bring to work..

any tips would be great.

thanks,

k

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
can you not peel it off? try making it a cloth moist, and then gently go round the edges of the sticker and then hopefully it will make it easier to peel off.

remember to be careful with liquid around your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Or to add to Robs suggestion, damp/moist cloth and lay it on the sticker for 10 minutes or so bc you need the whole lot of the stickiness to dissolve. . . .

Just wondering do you stand on your head when at work ?? Bc how else would your peers see the sticker.
On another note, dont let them make you think its embarrassing at all as personalizing your own equipment is a personal choice.
If there harassing you bc of it tell them to grow up and to use there energy for a good use . . . .
Just a though :)

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it's one of those next to impossible to get off type stickers that comes off in little bitty pieces - water will do nothing - what you may have around the house that will work would be alcohol - denatured better, but isopropyl may help. Unplug and remove battery if you can or be extremely careful with it. And there is no easy way to get those things off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'd actually take bottom off and soak it in a sink with warm soapy water, and work it of with a sponge until it is all gone.
Then, if there is any stubborn residue left, I would use a cloth soaked in olive oil to remove that.
Back to the soapy water after that to clean off the olive oil residue, dry it properly, put it back on your Mac and voila, good as new :)

BTW, olive oil also works on stubborn stains on your car like petrol around the petrol tank cap. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
BTW, olive oil also works on stubborn stains on your car like petrol around the petrol tank cap.

Hey Kane, can't you come up with something less expensive than Olive Oil? It's more costly per liter than what we're paying for gasoline. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Hmm... it all depends what kind of adhesive the sticker you placed has. I'm no expert but based on experience if you try to peel it off by just using your fingers can cause scratches on your laptop and it leaves off sticker residues that looks like snot.
I'd be a little wary if you try to use liquid to remove it. Who knows a tiny drop may slipped from you and get's in your mbp so what I can advise it to try a blow dryer to heat the sticker so you can easily peel it off. Just remove your bottom casing to avoid any heat damage to your mac.
hope this helps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hey Kane, can't you come up with something less expensive than Olive Oil? It's more costly per liter than what we're paying for gasoline. :p

Hehe :D
Hehe.... It's the only oil I have in the house, but I'm sure other cooking oils would work.
Only need to dab a little on a soft cloth.
I cover the top of the bottle with a section of the cloth, quickly turn the bottle upside down then right side up, and done.
Probably about 2-5ml of oil used.
The way the price of petrol is going up, it may be cheaper for olive oil than for petrol soon :)

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks everyone.. the stickers gotta be off by monday so tomorrow i'm gonna go through all of my options and ill tell you which one works.

btw the sticker is of a dead cat from the clothing company Drop Dead Clothing, and clients aren't to keen on it

k

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'll hope it's made of paper instead of vinyl for ya.

goo gone is good stuff

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks everyone.. the stickers gotta be off by monday so tomorrow i'm gonna go through all of my options and ill tell you which one works.

If you REALLY find yourself in a "time bind" or having trouble getting the stickers off by Monday...you could always try to find some large less-offensive stickers & place them over the "offensive" stickers. Or buy yourself some sort of notebook skin...and cover up those "bad" stickers.

Then when you have more time you can concentrate on getting the original stickers off.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
Also a little Lysol spray should dissolve some of the glue. You could spray it on a paper towel and then transfer it to where the sticker is.

Reaction score
3M makes a product for removing stickers, pin stripes and decals from chrome or painted objects. You can purchase it at any automotive store or on line.
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
goo gone will work for sure 100%
but I personally like drop dead clothing and the sticker is probably rad.
therefore the notebook skin is an ideal choice. Then you protect your machine in the future

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
goo gone will work for sure 100%
but I personally like drop dead clothing and the sticker is probably rad.
therefore the notebook skin is an ideal choice. Then you protect your machine in the future

My dad uses Goo Gone on his boat, and it works great! If you are still having trouble taking it off I also suggest it.

Good luck!

- Kyle

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.