Macbook doesn't recognize WD external Hard Drive

Reaction score
My Time Machine was working fine with my WD external hard drive for the last 2 years and then it couldn't find the drive any more. The external hard drive doesn't show up on the desk top or anywhere else. I connected a new WD external hard drive and that doesn't show up either. Has any one else had this problem? What can I do to correct it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My Time Machine was working fine with my WD external hard drive for the last 2 years and then it couldn't find the drive any more. The external hard drive doesn't show up on the desk top or anywhere else.

What does "anywhere else" mean? Finder? Disk Utility?

Same for the new drive - does it show up in Disk Utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 320GB HD, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.7
Is that using a USB connection? When you hooked up the new drive did you use the same old cable or a new one? Just fishing here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may have other problems... do this:

Run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine. That will also check the USB ports along with other hardware such as memory and hard drive. You will need your original install DVD to do the test.

But before you do that, open your System Profiler and click on USB. Let's see what it says. Applications, Utilities, System Profiler.app

OP
P
Reaction score
I took the Macbook and the WD external Hard Drive to the Apple store. The tech tested the Mac and everything was fine. He cleaned out the cache and other junk then plugged the WD into a USB port and it worked perfectly. He had no explanation for me. The Wd has been just fine since.
I have since installed Cleanmymac (tech's recommendation).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.