Bootcamp Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
After successfully using Bootcamp to run Win7 for work related apps and using it for two weeks, suddenly I can no longer boot over to it.

I opened the Disc Utilities app and can see the MAC HD and Bootcamp drives. When I clicked on the INFO tab I noticed one difference there is a line named Owners Enabled. On the MAC HD is shows the number ONE on the Bootcamp volume it reads ZERO. BTW on the Bootcamp volume the Verify and Repair Disc buttons are grayed out

Could this be what's preventing me from booting into Bootcamp? If so how can I fix?

I'm having surgery on Monday and have been authorized to work from home in lieu of using PTO hours and I really need access to Bootcamp.

Thanks

Tom

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
After successfully using Bootcamp to run Win7 for work related apps and using it for two weeks, suddenly I can no longer boot over to it.

I opened the Disc Utilities app and can see the MAC HD and Bootcamp drives. When I clicked on the INFO tab I noticed one difference there is a line named Owners Enabled. On the MAC HD is shows the number ONE on the Bootcamp volume it reads ZERO. BTW on the Bootcamp volume the Verify and Repair Disc buttons are grayed out

Could this be what's preventing me from booting into Bootcamp? If so how can I fix?

I'm having surgery on Monday and have been authorized to work from home in lieu of using PTO hours and I really need access to Bootcamp.

Thanks

Tom

Can you clarify a bit? You say you can't boot from it, but you don't explain exactly what precludes you from doing so. I'm not sure what process you normally use (the option key at startup, changing the startup disk from System Preferences, or using a third party program like QuickBoot)?

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
Thanks for the quick response. First I was switching from OS X to Bootcamp using the System Preference Restart option (under the Apple icon) that worked. Then for some reason that got finicky so I did the Power Off - Power On + Option Key. Both patrons display, I arrow to the Bootcamp volume (using my wireless MAC Key board) and hit enter. That worked. Then yesterday I found and downloaded a free app called BootChamp. It worked the first few times nice and easy and fast.

Then yesterday afternoon after I finished loading up all the stuff I need for work in Windows I logged off using Bootcamp Assistant that loads in Windows and was back in Mac land. Than last night I tried booting to Windows using ALL THREE methods and it won't boot. I get the Mac chord and the screen is just white. Using the Power + Option method displays the drives but still won't boot to Win7.

Guess I could try using an USB mouse/keyboard at that point.

Here's what is displayed from the Disc Utility Info window for my Bootcamp drive :

Name : BOOTCAMP
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s3
Mount Point : /Volumes/BOOTCAMP
File System : Windows NT File System (NTFS)
Connection Bus : SATA
Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/SATA@1F,2/PRT0@0/PMP@0
Writable : No
Universal Unique Identifier : 09B72244-9651-4872-9C23-5C08D3AFF74D
Capacity : 500.57 GB (500,569,210,880 Bytes)
Free Space : 462.22 GB (462,217,355,264 Bytes)
Used : 38.35 GB (38,351,851,520 Bytes)
Number of Files : 116,143
Number of Folders : 0
Owners Enabled : No
Can Turn Owners Off : No
Can Be Formatted : No
Bootable : No
Supports Journaling : No
Journaled : No
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 3

Maybe that will help.

Thanks

Tom

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. I wouldn't worry too much about what Disk Utility says as it's really not geared toward NTFS volumes (which OS X can't even write to by default).

My guess is the filesystem is damaged in some way. Unfortunately, Windows 7 doesn't have the recovery console, so in Microsoft's feeble effort to make things simpler, they've actually made it a lot more complicated to recover from a situation like this.

Here's what I would do...

Shut down the machine, turn it back on again and immediately press and hold the Option key until the boot volumes appear. Don't choose one for now. Pop the Windows 7 disc in. After a few moments it should appear as a boot option, choose it.

Choose your language and then choose the "Repair your computer" option. Choose the first option from the Recovery Options menu (Startup Repair). That may do the trick.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - cover me I'm going in..... :Smirk:

Tom

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - cover me I'm going in..... :Smirk:

Tom

One caveat that I forgot to mention - before you do any of this, BACK UP. Anytime you're messing with the filesystem, you run the risk of data loss.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Posted from the "Evil Empire" OS. Bootcamp/Win7 came back and Bootchamp worked like a charm.

No apps/files etc lost. I can't thank you enough. I have enough to worry about with surgery on Monday and not being able to work from home would have cost me about $400/day in PTO.

I salute you.

Tom
USAF Retired

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Posted from the "Evil Empire" OS. Bootcamp/Win7 came back and Bootchamp worked like a charm.

No apps/files etc lost. I can't thank you enough. I have enough to worry about with surgery on Monday and not being able to work from home would have cost me about $400/day in PTO.

I salute you.

Tom
USAF Retired

Glad I could help. May I recommend looking into a virtualization solution for running Windows later on down the road when you've recovered? Not sure if you're familiar with these options, but they do work extremely well and are a lot less trouble to use and maintain.

Hope all goes well with the surgery and that you make a speedy recovery.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad I could help. May I recommend looking into a virtualization solution for running Windows later on down the road when you've recovered? Not sure if you're familiar with these options, but they do work extremely well and are a lot less trouble to use and maintain.

Hope all goes well with the surgery and that you make a speedy recovery.

You mean something like Parallels Desktop 6?

Tom

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean something like Parallels Desktop 6?

Tom

I'm partial to VMWare Fusion, but yes Parallels and VirtualBox (free) are good options as long as you don't intend to play games on Windows (3D acceleration is the lone weak spot of virtualization).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.