Install dvd Damaged

Reaction score
I have tried to install the Operating System onto A MacBook Pro.I am using the original DVD supplied with the MacBook Pro.I have done the erase on the Hard Drive and clicked install.A message comes up saying the disc is being checked for consistency and a bar starts to move across.At about 45% a box comes up saying there was a problem with the disc try cleaning it and reinstalling.I have done this four times with the same result.The disc does have a scratch on it.

So I have just got a white screen with a flashing question mark on it now.Do I need to buy a new DVD operating system disc.Or what? Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can call Apple and ask for a set of replacement discs. We've seen reports here of anything from free to about $20 over the last couple of years.

Or head out and grab a new retail copy of SL for <$30. You'd be missing the iLife suite through this method. But, if the 2nd disc of your original set is not damaged, you may still be able to install that.

OP
K
Reaction score
You can call Apple and ask for a set of replacement discs. We've seen reports here of anything from free to about $20 over the last couple of years.

Or head out and grab a new retail copy of SL for <$30. You'd be missing the iLife suite through this method. But, if the 2nd disc of your original set is not damaged, you may still be able to install that.

I thought the DVD's where machine spercific,so I had to have the original Leopard Operating System installed and then if I wanted I had to buy SL and install it as an add on?

OP
K
Reaction score
Can Some one clarify the position with all these different install discs please?

It appears that there are Grey and Black DVD Discs for installing Operating Systems.

I assume the Grey one come with the original Mac and are that machine specific so can not be installed on a different machine.So why does anyone want to buy a Grey Disc?

The Black DVD disc I assume is a RETAIL version that means it was bought new as a software DVD to install onto ANY machine that has the necassary specification. But, does the Black disc have any type of registation code that prevents it from being installed onto other machine without problems i.e when you conect to the internet you get maeessages from Apple telling you that it is an unauthorised copy(like Windows does).

Do any of the Machine reject the discs because it is not the original instalation disc.

If someone wants to install Leopard on there Macbook Pro without any hassle and cost is not a substantial issue how would they do it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I thought the DVD's where machine spercific,so I had to have the original Leopard Operating System installed and then if I wanted I had to buy SL and install it as an add on?

The discs that ship with your machine are system type specific.

The retail SL disc is not an "add on". It is a full version of the OS. It can be used to upgrade a previous version of OS X or to do a clean install. If you already have Leopard, you can purchase and do a clean install with the retail SL even according to the guideline Apple has recommended.

(Now, I'm "assuming" you have an Intel Mac, not PPC. If your system shipped with Leopard you do.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I assume the Grey one come with the original Mac and are that machine specific so can not be installed on a different machine.

A different system, rather than machine, would be more accurate. ex. If you have an '08 MB 2.0Ghz and you happened to find a grey disc that shipped with another '08 MB 2.0 Ghz, it would work.

So why does anyone want to buy a Grey Disc?

Because the buyer doesn't know any better and the seller doesn't care who gets stuck with the disc as long as they get their money. We have plenty of buyers that wait until after they have purchased these type of discs to ask the question and then come here because they don't work.

I have already provided you with your options above.
A retail disc of Leopard is likely not going to work on your machine if it shipped with Leopard. It would also run you in the neighborhood of $100 instead of around $20 for a set of replacement discs you could get direct from Apple.

The retail versions of OS X do not contain the drivers required for machines that shipped with that same version - because every Mac is provided with a set of install discs.

Note: Moving these two posts to your other thread. This really has nothing to do with the thread of discs for sale/trade.

OP
K
Reaction score
A different system, rather than machine, would be more accurate. ex. If you have an '08 MB 2.0Ghz and you happened to find a grey disc that shipped with another '08 MB 2.0 Ghz, it would work.

Because the buyer doesn't know any better and the seller doesn't care who gets stuck with the disc as long as they get their money. We have plenty of buyers that wait until after they have purchased these type of discs to ask the question and then come here because they don't work.

I have already provided you with your options above.
A retail disc of Leopard is likely not going to work on your machine if it shipped with Leopard. It would also run you in the neighborhood of $100 instead of around $20 for a set of replacement discs you could get direct from Apple.

The retail versions of OS X do not contain the drivers required for machines that shipped with that same version - because every Mac is provided with a set of install discs.

Note: Moving these two posts to your other thread. This really has nothing to do with the thread of discs for sale/trade.

I am getting to understand this a bit better now.

It seems to me that what ever Mac you buy MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE INSTALLATION DISCS. I did that but have found one has the slight scratch.It would appear that the correct route is to contact Apple or go to the Apple shop.It does seem from reading another thread that here in the UK it is a lot more than $20 for replacement discs.

Or buy a retail version of Snow Leopard and intall that.Why is Snow Leopard so cheap in comparison to Leopard?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, those replacement discs are much more expensive in the UK from what I've heard. I actually think the SL disc is cheaper there.

It's also a faster OS than 10.4 or 10.5. 10.6 really didn't add that much new to the OS except for 64 bit computing. But, who cares why they did it so cheap - just take advantage of their generosity while you can. ;D

There's not much from Apple that could be considered cheap. Doubt we'll get Lion for that kind of price. Although, it'd be nice if Apple decided they were still making money on an OS at that price point and really don't need the $129 the previous versions cost.

C

chas_m

Just to clarify a bit of Bob's answer: the reason Snow Leopard is so cheap compared to Leopard is that it didn't add much in the way of big obvious features -- it was more of a Intel-only optimization of Leopard (thus the name Snow Leopard) with a few (actually quite a few) more subtle features but mostly under-the-hood changes, so Apple thought it would be a tough sell at $129 (their usual price for full OS upgrades).

Pricing for Lion hasn't been announced yet, but it is more of a traditional major OS release so I would expect the price to return to "normal" levels more or less.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.