iMac Processors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.6.8
Would the 3.6 GHz duo-core i5 with the turbo boost have as much processing power as the 2.8 GHz quad-core i5 without the turbo boost?

The reason I ask is because I do not like the glossy screen of the iMac and am looking to run a second monitor. I could get the 21" 3.2 GHz configured with the 3.6 GHz i5 for $1799 which is $300 less than the 27" quad-core i5. That money could be put toward another monitor but I don't want to sacrifice processing power for Lightroom and Photoshop. Any thoughts?

Diane

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you hang on to your wallet for a bit longer... the iMac line of machines are due for a refresh. It's been since July of 2010 when the last iMacs were refreshed. Average refresh schedule has been around 10 months. See this LINK.

If you must buy it now, go for the better 21.5" with an external anti-glare monitor. Or if you have some extra $$ on hand to spend, you might think about getting the 15" MBP with the anti-glare optional display.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.6.8
So, are you saying you think the 3.6 dual-core i5 with turbo boost is better than the 2.8 quad-core i5 without Turbo boost?

Re: Macbook Pro. The 15" gets out of range for my budget because I will need to also get a mouse and keyboard (at least those come with the iMac). I was also under the impression that laptops run a little slower than desktops.

My needs are such that I don't need to get this a.s.a.p. but I was thinking of all that is happening in Japan, that if electronics get in short supply prices are going to start to rise.
Diane (I love italics)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
2.8 without would be my bet. 4 real cores is better than 2 virtual ones any day.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My needs are such that I don't need to get this a.s.a.p. but I was thinking of all that is happening in Japan, that if electronics get in short supply prices are going to start to rise.

I think that's being blown way out of proportion. Most, if not all our electronics and parts do not come from Japan. Japanese labor costs are as high as ours which is why most electronics come from China, Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia, and other Asian countries. The Japanese themselves outsource most of their electronic production to China.

However, the decision about buying now or later is yours to make.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.