Boot up issue PowerMac G5

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G5 that is having boot up issues. I turn the desktop on and hear the chime, but nothing after that. No signal goes to the monitor and I have no power to the keyboard or the laser mouse. Tested the keyboard by trying to turn on caps lock.

So far for troubleshooting I have reset PRAM, but to no luck since the keyboard isn't working, so I tried resetting the PMU with the CUDA button, but this didn't help either. The back up battery tests at 3.6V, so i don't think thats the issue either.

I worry it may be the motherboard, but was wondering if anyone else had similar issues. If you agree that it may be the motherboard, does anyone know if some websites other than ebay to buy parts for macs. I did a quick search and couldn't find the model board model number anywhere online.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

*EDIT*
Also tried to place the Apple mouse into a USB saw it got power but the Keyboard still doesn't working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Tell us more about the G5 itself. Number of CPUs? Speed? Age? History? OS?

OP
U
Reaction score
2 CPUs Clocked at 1.8GHz. Age around 6 years old and Mac OS X Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The 2004 1.8GHz G5 did have problems. Have a look at this link and suggest what you are seeing is indeed a failing logic board, and really not worth spending the amount of money used parts sellers demand for them.

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-g5-2004.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have dealt with DV Warehouse and can recommend them but at $300-$400 is it really worth it when you can purchase a later model Intel machine for that much and maybe sell the G5 on eBay or such?

OP
U
Reaction score
Would the computer show the same symptoms if it was the video card. Would a bad video card prevent the machine from booting up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try another monitor and from your description of kb and mouse problems, points to logic board alas.

OP
U
Reaction score
In an attempt to see if the Power Supply was the problem. So I unplug the two cables, and then plugged them back in to the logic board. But to get to the those cables I had to remove one of the Cooling/Processing units. And then I put everything back. Turn it on, and saw the Apple Logo with the spinning icon, but it froze so I restarted it and I get a blank screen everytime after reseeding ONE of the processors. Would this be more a Processor problem or a Logic Board problem?

Thanks much,
udzap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Except your G5 is not Intel. Look for instructions for a PowerPC. Did you get it up and going?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.