Went to the Apple Store. Still Undecided.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Well my wife and I carried our 1st gen iPads to the Apple Store to do a side-by-side comparison.

I will admit the iPad2 seems a little faster. But, what shocked me was how much lighter it felt. That alone may make us upgrade.

The cameras are nice but I can wait for them. The same for more speed. But, the weight difference and handling . . . We use our iPads all the time . . .

Bottomline: we're thinking about it but I think we will probably upgrade . . . Maybe ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Awesome.
Am I the only one waiting for iPad 3? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Am I the only one who gets tricked into upgrading every year, then eventually feels ok with the decision because you're NEVER disappointed with an Apple product? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
If you have iPad 1s, I would wait for the third gen, unless:

- Your really want to video conference

- You really want Garage Band

There may be more reasons later, but for now that is about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have iPad 1s, I would wait for the third gen, unless:

- Your really want to video conference

- You really want Garage Band

There may be more reasons later, but for now that is about it.

This is pretty much how I see it too. That's why I'm waiting for 3. I have an iPad 1 and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not getting the 2. The speed boost (dual-core processor) and thinner/lighter build is nice, but just not enough to justify trading up in 9 months. :)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is pretty much how I see it too. That's why I'm waiting for 3. I have an iPad 1 and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not getting the 2. The speed boost (dual-core processor) and thinner/lighter build is nice, but just not enough to justify trading up in 9 months. :)
I agree mainly with your reasoning, but the thinner and lighter. . . .until I did a direct comparison I didn't realize how much thinner and lighter it was.

My iPad is in use constantly, either in my lap or in my hands. And, I probably pick it up dozens of times each day. Over a couple of years that adds up. The iPad (1st gen) is too heavy to hold comfortably for long periods without resting it on something.
The iPad2 on the other hand feels like holding a magazine. Again, I haven't quite made up my mind, but I am leaning that way. (My wife is leaning a little the other way, which is a major factor in our being undecided). ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
How many times have you been teed off?

You're replying to a post and you need to add a link to it. Head over to another Safari wndow, go find the page, copy the URL, come back.... And the freaking thing refreshes and loses your whole post. AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Does the additional RAM solve this one issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree mainly with your reasoning, but the thinner and lighter. . . .until I did a direct comparison I didn't realize how much thinner and lighter it was.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your reasons and I think you have a very valid one. :D I could see being in your situation.
Personally, I will choose my MBP 80% or 90% of the time over my iPad. I like my iPad, but I don't necessarily love it. Different devices for different needs and preferences.
What I was originally saying is that it seems I am the minority who are not adapting the iPad 2 into their lives. It's an amazing device and if I didn't have the first one, I very likely would have stood in line for the iPad 2. :Smirk:

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How many times have you been teed off?

You're replying to a post and you need to add a link to it. Head over to another Safari wndow, go find the page, copy the URL, come back.... And the freaking thing refreshes and loses your whole post. AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Does the additional RAM solve this one issue?

Breath in breath out, Bob! :)

To me that is the only real short coming of using the iPad for web surfing. I continue to find posting more challenging than using my MBP.

Reaction score
Breath in breath out, Bob! :)

To me that is the only real short coming of using the iPad for web surfing. I continue to find posting more challenging than using my MBP.

I agree with you both wholeheartedly! Surfing and reading is what I do most with my iPad. It's good as a reader, but for surfing I only use it when I must carry lighter than my MBP.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
?

Omg, I really hate hate hate that! I've just gotten into the habit of copying whatever I have, so I don't lose it. When I saw that Safari got an update in iOS, I was really hoping for a change on this. Apple really doesn't understand tabbed browsing in iOS yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Honestly... It got quite a lot better on the iPad 2. My first gen ipad used to tick me off with that refresh "feature" in safari. But now it's loads better. The inky website that I still have that problem with is Facebook. Otherwise, as long as the page is fully and completely loaded in safari and I switch to a different window and come back it's still there without the need to refresh.

I heart my iPad 2.

Cheers,

Mina

Reaction score
I'm waiting for an iPad 3.......but in the mean time I'm enjoying my new iPad 2!!! I'll either sell the 2 when the 3 comes out or give it to the kids. I upgrade my iPhone with every new model, why not do the same the iPad? The phones hold their value (actually I made $20 on my 3GS when it sold for $220), but I won't mind loosing a couple hundred dollars each year on an iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.