Macbook Pro ALWAYS ejects disk (even if there is none) at startup?

Reaction score
So, on my new 1-day-old macbook pro, I realized that whenever I start it up, it made a noise like it was ejecting a disk even if there was nothing there. Then when I put an actual disk in, after spooling up and reading the disk for a second, it also ejected it.

Some possible related issues/causes are that A)I just installed windows 7 (but it works great) and B)at one point I had to force eject (i.e. hold down eject at startup) because windows would not eject the DVD without the boot camp drivers.

Any advice? I'm gonna try to zap the PRAM right now, as that sometimes fixes these kinds of issues for me.
Edit:
PRAM did nothing, and in case it matters:I just listened to it a few times, it does sound different than the normal "eject" sound when there is no CD present. It sounds more strained to me. Maybe that's just what it sounds like when it tries to eject and there is nothing there.
It does this immediately after startup, even before the gray screen shows up.
Grr, I hate optical media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Don't forget that you have free technical support for a little while. I'd call Apple support and ask them about it if you can't get it sorted (make sure to tell them about Win 7). An official answer, should it lead to having to bring it in for a replacement is better than guessing for a few weeks on a forum. Unless of course someone here is able to answer your question without any doubts.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
This "eject sound" at startup is normal behaviour, it's actually seeing if there is a disk in the drive at all. If there is a disk in the disk drive that is not a bootable media it will then spit it out.
All mac laptops make this sound.

HTH
- Simon

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Mine does it as well - and it doesn't bother me - but it does make me curious as to whether or not this is still relevant. MacBook Pro (Mid 2009): Multiple noises from the optical disc drive on startup or waking from sleep I don't reboot my MBP enough to even notice but if it's bothering you - might be worth asking the question.

However, as already pointed out, it's perfectly normal. See here Apple Portables: Noises from the optical drive

Summary
You may notice your optical disc drive makes various sounds even if a CD or DVD isn't in the drive. The noises you might hear from the optical drive are probably normal. There is a small motor in the drive that spins discs.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Ugh. Mods Please remove. Clicked the wrong button. :(

OP
W
Reaction score
Ahh, so it's normal then. Strange, my old macbook didn't start making that sound until the DVD drive started acting up and I had to remove it. I also don't remember that sound on the first couple boots... weird.

Also good to know about non-bootable media being spit out.

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
No problem at all :D

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I think that sound is also more prevalent in the Aluminium casing.

Reaction score
Altho I do hear my SuperDrive run at start up it has never ejected a disk that wasn't bootable. As a matter of fact I have a DVD in there right now and turned just turned it on. Mine is a mid 2009 mbp

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.