Digital Camera Options for student

S

sursuciofla

I am a student studying graphic design and I want to find a good digital SLR that's within the $1000-1600 range. I have really gotten hooked on photography since taking B/W photography class and now I want to put my knowledge to use with a digital camera. So if you guys who are pros or beginners have any suggestions based on the ones you have used then I would love to hear them. The two I was looking at was the Sigma SD10(have read a lot of knocks on this one) and the Canon 20D(have heard nothing but praise about this one). But if there are any better in my price range or any cheaper ones that are close to as good I would like to know.

OP
T

Tel

The 20D is an awesome camera but you might also consider the 300D/350D, the saving you would make would be enough to put towards some really nice lenses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT (little brother to the 20D) and I love it... That would also leave over some money for lenses. There is only a tiny difference that I am aware of as far as quality. The 20D also seems alot more sturdy. But if you are already taking the lense cash into account than go for the 20D.

OP
T

Tel

The 20D is slightly better than the XT and if you're an experienced photographer you'll notice the difference. But the quality of the image is almost exactly the same, they both have the same CMOS sensor and Logic II processor. It might be worth getting the XT as I said above, to get some decent lenses.

OP
Q

quanz

get a nikon,
the d70 has a sturdier body than the xt, and ahs better colour controls.

nikon's just feel right, everythign is in the right place on them.
the lens it comes with it is actually usefull, then you can buy one of the best lenses made for it, the 50mm 1.8 for about 100 bucks, used or new

the 1.4 is also good, not much sharper, but it stops down a bit lower.

the nikon has the ability of a digi fisheye the 10.5mm dx, and it has a nice 75-300 which puts out great highlight rendition and balances fairly nice.
add to that a much better flash line IMO the sb600 and sb800 with built in wireless technology is something that I take full advantage off.

OP
S

speedydave

What are you shooting? If you are shooting sports or any kind of action, I'd go with a 20D or D70. If you're not, one of the Rebels (300D or 350D) will be just fine. One thing that's nice about the D70 and 20D is that you have a lot more freedom with the manual functions and settings. The Rebels do have Manual modes, but they don't give you certain features that you get with the 20D and D70, like AI Servo in Manual (only gives you AI Servo in the Sports mode). Also, the 20D and D70 are a bit sturdier than the Rebels. There is a firmware hack for the 300D that gives it the adjustability of a 10D, but I don't know if you can do the same with the 350D.

OP
S

sursuciofla

speedydave said:
What are you shooting? If you are shooting sports or any kind of action, I'd go with a 20D or D70. If you're not, one of the Rebels (300D or 350D) will be just fine. One thing that's nice about the D70 and 20D is that you have a lot more freedom with the manual functions and settings. The Rebels do have Manual modes, but they don't give you certain features that you get with the 20D and D70, like AI Servo in Manual (only gives you AI Servo in the Sports mode). Also, the 20D and D70 are a bit sturdier than the Rebels. There is a firmware hack for the 300D that gives it the adjustability of a 10D, but I don't know if you can do the same with the 350D.

I shoot everything right now until I find my niche. I am into landscapes right at the moment but sports interests me as well. I have narrowed it down to the D70 and 20D. I do need the manual controls, I really like to have that control over the autofocus.

OP
T

Tel

If you're stuck between the D70 and 20D then I would say the 20D. But don't listen to me, or anyone else for that matter. Its a tuff choice and not everyone will agree when it comes to these two cameras. Get to a decent camera shop and kidnap an assistant to help you compare the two. Make sure you really try both of them out before you make a decision.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Tel said:
If you're stuck between the D70 and 20D then I would say the 20D. But don't listen to me, or anyone else for that matter. Its a tuff choice and not everyone will agree when it comes to these two cameras. Get to a decent camera shop and kidnap an assistant to help you compare the two. Make sure you really try both of them out before you make a decision.

I'm looking at these two packages:

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=354296&up=102119&start=1

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=192946&up=192940&start=1

Or I could just get the Nikon D70 (body only) for $499 or the Canon 20D (body only) for $829.

OR I could just by me an iMac and be done, hehe. I am tempted to do that but since I have my ibook I can wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I'd agree with Tel about the 20D being my choice... but I'd also agree that it is totally personal preference... if you haven't tried both of them out I'd recommend it. As far as the package deals go... The included lenses certainly aren't anything to write home about... But for the price they would give you plenty of flexibility.

One thing I do remember from when I got mine is to make sure you are getting a high speed flash card if you plan to be shooting hi-res or RAW... Otherwise that can delay your response time. (Somebody feel free to correct me on this... This is per the Best Buy sales guy :D )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i still use b&w 35mm film...lol

i dont have much to add to this thread but i will say this....write up a review of the camera when you get it!!!
-chris

OP
S

sursuciofla

coach_z said:
i still use b&w 35mm film...lol

i dont have much to add to this thread but i will say this....write up a review of the camera when you get it!!!
-chris

I'm going to get the Canon, I have used the 10D and I liked it and I have fiddled with the 20D. I have two Sigma lenses off my SA-7 so I can just use those until I find some good lenses that I like.

I also love B&W photography as well and using the darkroom but I also love digital because it is fast results and I also enjoy the digital darkroom. As long as it stays cheap enough I will keep doing B&W but you know if you do your own developing chemicals are rising in price and Kodak already stopped producing B&W paper and Ilford has already cut back on production. This stuff will be specialty pretty soon and unless you get paid very very well or you have money coming out the wahzoo it will be very expensive to continue.

OP
T

Tel

Good choice with the 20D, I'm sure you'll love it! Let us know how you get on with it once you pick it up :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yea I would say the 20D. My dad uses the 20D and I use a Digital Rebel. My uncle who is a very serious photographer uses a Nikon D70 but said if he had the chance to start over he would get the 20D

OP
S

sursuciofla

Tel said:
Good choice with the 20D, I'm sure you'll love it! Let us know how you get on with it once you pick it up :)

I ordered the 20D Body from B&H and I will just use my Sig lenses until I buy some new ones. Also purchased 1GB CF & Reader, remote, extra battery. This one company was trying to sell me stuff that comes with the body separate, like the battery, cables, charger, etc. I have shopped with B&H before so I just said forget it to the other company and bought from B&H. In Total everything I bought cost $1500, which ain't too shabby I guess. It is $200 more than I wanted to spend but oh well. I will keep you guys updated though on how I like it when I have used it. Like I said I liked what I saw when I handled it before and my Photo teacher told me that was an excellent choice.

Thanks again you guys for all your help and I'll keep ya posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to B&H at least once a week during the summer just to look around. Great store and a really cool method of running things they have

OP
S

sursuciofla

What lenses do you recommend as starter lenses for the 20D? My lenses won't fit. I need something good but cheap for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
What lenses do you recommend as starter lenses for the 20D? My lenses won't fit. I need something good but cheap for now.

Well what is "cheap" to you. I am usually go for the Canon L series lenses but Sigma are also a good brand

OP
T

Tel

L lenses are hardly going to be cheap to anyone. It really depends what you're going to be using the camera for but you'll definalty want to get a 50mm f/2.8 which is a very cheap and very sharp prime.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Tel said:
L lenses are hardly going to be cheap to anyone. It really depends what you're going to be using the camera for but you'll definalty want to get a 50mm f/2.8 which is a very cheap and very sharp prime.

Thanks, I ordered the 50mm f/1.8 yesterday. I am still waiting on my other two lenses and my CF card & Reader. Oh, and as nice as the L lenses are and I would love to get my hands on some I can't afford that kind of money. At least until I recover from this purchase. Don't want to ask my parents either, just don't feel right doing that anymore.

I have the camera and cable release just no lenses yet so I am bummed :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.