Printing on Windows Network, Please Help

Reaction score
Okay, I've run out of options. I'm sure this topic has been covered numerous times on numerous forums. I know this because I'm pretty sure I've read all of them. However, I have a problem that seems to be unlike all the others.

I have two Windows XP computers at work. In times past I've had no problem connecting to the printer from my Mac. Recently we replaced the host computer to the printer with a new Windows 7 computer, and for some reason the HP Color Laserjet 3500 doesn't have a driver for Windows 7. After much tinkering, I got the Windows Vista 64 bit driver to work, and I'm able to print from both computers on the network (one wirelessly) except, now I can't print from my Mac. Here is the confusing part, the Mac recognizes the printer, sends the queue, and thinks the printer printed the document with no issues, and doesn't form an error, and there's nothing in the queue afterward.

This is what I did to set up the printer. I did <Apple Preferences><Print & Fax><+(Add Printer)><Advanced> then I clicked the "Type" drop down and selected "Windows", then entered the URL as follows: "smb://computer name/printer shared name", then chose "Select Printer Software..." from the "Print Using" drop down, then finally clicked "Add". In times past, it's worked flawlessly.

I'm sorry for the lengthy bit, but I wanted to make sure that everyone had all the information that may have been pertinent. Also, sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

Any help would be much appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at the Apple Bonjour support page and see if that offers any help to get your HP going again. Both Bonjour for Mac and Windows is discussed. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
How is the printer connected - by USB to the W7 computer or ethernet? I am betting USB.

I might try isolating the printer by setting it as an independent IP address so others on the network have access to it by IP number rather than through Windows 7 interface, where I feel the issue is.

OP
N
Reaction score
How is the printer connected - by USB to the W7 computer or ethernet? I am betting USB.

I might try isolating the printer by setting it as an independent IP address so others on the network have access to it by IP number rather than through Windows 7 interface, where I feel the issue is.

It is by USB, and I tried accessing the printer by IP but it didn't work. I never bothered to disconnect the printer from the computer though, I didn't think that would make any difference. I just assumed that I could connect to a printer via IP or USB from different computers at the same time. As far as "setting it as an independent IP address", All I did was print a test page from the printer, and used the IP from that page, which looks something like this: 60.32.62.0

OP
N
Reaction score
Figured it out! I used the LPD protocol instead, and used the IP of the host computer rather than the computer name and it worked fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.