Macbook Pro vs iMac

Reaction score
Ive looked around the forum and didnt seem to find the answer i was looking for, so here goes:

Im looking for a new mac. Ive got a 2 year old macbook pro, so portability is not an issue. What i need the new mac for is Logic Studio, so its all about hardware. But as far as i can see, the Pro 13 inch 2.7 i7 dualcore is much more powerful than the almost similar priced iMac 21,5 inch 3.2 i3 ?

Is this really true :)?.. What dont i know :)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MacWorld Magazine routinely compares benchmarks of the various offerings from Apple. You can view their list of machines and the capability of each and how well they score.

Generally you'll get the most bang for your buck by buying an iMac. Of course the trade off is the loss of portability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
Don't forget that the MacBook Pro line just had a hardware refresh. The iMacs haven't had one in a while and are due. If I were in your position. I would hold off until they refresh the iMacs. They're sure to get a performance boost when that happens. The value will be a lot better then.

Also, the 21" display is a significant improvement over a 13". Not enough to justify the pricing when compared to the newly refreshed MBPs, but it IS a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.