• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem with HDV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hi all

You will have to excuse me as I am a complete noob at all things high def, I have just purchased a video camera and I am having trouble running the 1080i60 videos on my MacBook Pro, the camera only records in AVI which seems to work in quick time but only with 1080p30 and down, when I go up to i60 all I get is sound but no picture.
After looking on the net and reading forums it sounds like I have to change the file from AVI to MP4 so I downloaded Hand Brake and changed the file to MP4, now I get sound an picture :Smirk: but the quality is very poor.

My question is how can I get a good quality picture on my Mac using i60 resolution because whatever I am doing now is not working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
HDV is a DV format, not AVI. If I recall right, I'd expect the extension to be .DV using Mac software.

I don't think iMovie supports 60fps. I'm not absolutely sure about that. Occasionally see it asked but haven't been paying that much attention to it since it doesn't affect me.

Haven't used Handbrake for such a thing, but if possible, it sounds like you need to use a custom setting, not a preset. Size if obvious, but the data rate should be very high.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.