Installing Windows on 2011 MacBook Pro Question

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Im a new Mac User and just got the new 2011 MacBook Pro. My question is related to BootCamp. I have tried 4 times now to create a windows Partition for dual boot options. I have tried 3 times with Windows 7 CD's until i read and realized you need the full install CD, upgrade CD's will not work. So i tried to use a Windows XP CD, THEN upgrade to windows 7, but the windows XP CD will not work now either! (its Windows pro x86 XP Service Pack 3).

Upon reboot of the PC when it tries to laod the windows setup screen it keeps saying "Boot Device Not Available - press any key to continue" And nothing can get me past that, nor can i reboot the comp. I have to hard shut down the computer, then hold the mouse key to eject the CD.

Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum and title changed for clarity.

You should have been able to install the Windows 7 upgrade on your machine as it does a full install with some provisions.

Since you have a copy of XP, installing the Windows 7 upgrade does not violate the MS EULA, therefore follow these instructions:

LINK

I installed my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade using those exact instructions.

Reaction score
I used Virtual Box and it worked perfectly. Not a glitch. Are you using a paid version or other?
P.D.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I used Virtual Box and it worked perfectly. Not a glitch. Are you using a paid version or other?
P.D.

The OP is using Boot Camp, which installs Windows natively (i.e. you set your computer up to boot either OS X or Windows). Virtualization products like Virtual Box work in a completely different manner, and are in general, much less intrusive and easier to get up and running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.