Using Bluetooth To Transfer Files

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I have trolled through this forum before, looking for answers to my varied Apple product questions, but this is my first post.

So anyway, I was given an iPad as a going away gift recently and so far I love it!:D

The only thing that hasn't worked as I would like has to do with Bluetooth. I have previously used Bluetooth to wirelessly transfer files back and forth between my MacBook Pro and my cell phone (a Samsung Omnia Pro). This was great. It worked with MP3s, photo files, etc.

So now that I have an iPod and a MacBook Pro, I was hoping I would be able to transfer some music and movie files over to my iPad using Bluetooth. However, when I try to do so, it fails.

When I use my iPad, it doesn't even recognize my MacBook Pro. And when I try to use my MacBook Pro's Bluetooth to recognize my iPad, I get a message that reads "Device does not have necessary services."

Am I just out of luck? Any suggestions how I could get this working or am I just out of luck?

Any thoughts of how I can get my music and movies from my MacBook Pro onto my iPad?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Ian P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Any thoughts of how I can get my music and movies from my MacBook Pro onto my iPad?

You sync it via iTunes. With your iPad connected via USB, you'll see the iPad listed as a device. Select it, then configure what you want synced.

Reaction score
I am bumping this thread because I recently inherited an iPod touch 2nd gen (running iOS4) and I would love to connect it to my macbook via bluetooth. I am having the exact same problems as the OP. Anyone have advice for connecting the two devices via bluetooth?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The only way you can get Bluetooth file transfers is by jailbreaking your device and getting a third-party tool via Cydia.

If you had a device that was running iOS 5, you could do syncing over Wi-Fi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.