Where is the Email ?

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how do I find the email account and set it up on my MacbookPro so I can send and receive emails.Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Your email account will either be provided by your ISP or you can set up a web email eg Yahoo or Hotmail.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have got an account which I used on my Windows laptop but where is the access point on this Macbook? On my windows laptop I click on outlook express and my email is there.What do I click on on the Macbook?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look at the bottom of your screen. There should be a horizontal row of icons.... look for the icon that appears as a postage stamp. That's the mail program. Click on it to open it and then proceed to configure your mail account. Make sure you have all the information you need first before doing so. You'll need your POP3 and SMTP address info along with any other information required by your ISP to access their mail server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Just to backup what chscag said re postage stamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Have you checked your applications folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
In the top right corner of your display, there is a magnifying glass.
It is called spotlight.
Click on that and type Mail.
Does anything come up?

OP
K
Reaction score
Have done.A list comes up underneath there is only one thing I can see to do with mail.It says Mail Downloads.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should have seen an entry that says: "mail.app" when searching with Spotlight. If it's not there the mail program may have been deleted accidentally. Check your trash first to make sure it's not there. Post back and let us know.

OP
K
Reaction score
There is no "Mail app" in the drop down box.I have looked in the Trash it is not in there either?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There are a few of options then.
If you have a time machine backup, this is the easiest.
Plug in your external HD with your time machine backups, go to application, and open time machine.
Go back through the timeline where you have Mail in the applications folder and click restore.

If not, then you have one free and one paid for option.

1. Back up with time machine now, reinstall OS X and then restore everything from your time machine backups except for your applications folder.

3. Pacifist for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com which is a paid for application ($20) where you can extract individual applications from your installation discs.

OP
K
Reaction score
There is no time machine thing set up yet as I have just got this Macbook second hand a few days ago.It has been suggested by others that I should do a clean intall from the two apple OS X discs that came with the Macbook.I have been reluctant to do that because I have never reloaded a operating system before but I think I will give it a go tomorow unless anyone recomends against it.Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that is the case, then I would advise the same thing.
Reinstalling OS X is easy as pie.
Here are the exact steps.

-Insert the disc that says install disc.
-Restart the computer and hold the 'C' key down as soon as you hear the chime until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click continue.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation.

After this, setup time machine.
This is really simple too.
As soon as you plug in a new external HD, it will ask you if you want to use it for time machine backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A pleasure on behalf of everyone here :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.