Importing contacts from salvaged PC hard drive?

Reaction score
Hello!
My family's PC recently died, so I took the opportunity to FINALLY convert them to Mac. I was able to salvage the HD from the old computer, and have pulled documents, pics, and music files off the drive, but now I need to know how to import the contacts into Mail.
I have the HD in an external enclosure via USB, so I can access most of what I need, but I'm not sure quite how to do this, since I don't have Parallels or VMware installed.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What format are the contacts in? In other words, were they in Outlook? Outlook Express? Or another program?

Reaction score
hi-

I'm a newbie and I have the same issue with trying to import contacts from an external HD (PC died--decided to move to Mac). I was using Outlook Express before. When I contacted Apple last week they said since Express was no longer supported i would have to pay $69 for support to import them. I have an Imac...what info am I leaving out???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
Are you able to locate a file with a .pab extension on the old drive? This would be your Outlook Express Personal Address Book file. The Mail program supports the industry standard vCard (.vcf) format for contacts, so you'll need a way to get them from the .pab to .vcf. If you have access to another Windows PC with Outlook express running on it, you might be able to import your .pab file into it, then using Outlook Express, export your contacts in .vcf format. Then all you need to do is import the vcfs into mail.

Reaction score
I don't have a .pab file ext. I do see an administrator .wab ext. but when I click on it, the dialog box says there's no program to support opening it. I don't have another PC that I used Outlook Express on and the dead one is ...well, dead.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a wab file not pab. (Windows Address Book) In any event, without another Windows machine you're not going to be able to convert the addresses and contacts to vcf or csv. Thunderbird can also be used to convert OE contacts and mail but again you need a Windows machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That method still requires another PC which he says he doesn't have access to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.