Symbols showing in text online

Reaction score
Hi,

I am doing a course online and when using my mac the posted content has different symbols than what is showing on my windows based PC (such as the infinity symbol is different). Does anyone know how to ensure that I get the same symbols as the original document (which I am sure was created using a windows based PC).

Thanks,
A

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use the Character Viewer which is available on your Mac. Open System Preferences, Language & Text. Select the tab that says "Input Sources", place a check in the box "Keyboard & Character Viewer" and in the box "Show input menu in menu bar".

After doing that, you'll see a small flag in the top menu bar. If your language is US English, you'll see a small American flag. Click on the flag and then select "Show Character Viewer". From there you can select which symbols you want posted. There are numerous menus to select from.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks chscag,

I am looking for how to read something that is already posted. The symbols are not the same when reading it on my mac (for example, the μ comes up as m in the document) and I'm trying to find a way to make the entire document compatible with my mac so that the symbols are correct.

Is there any way to do this?

-A

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not really without knowing how the original was encoded. You didn't mention which browser you're using, but assuming it's Safari, you might wish to experiment with changing the encoding. Safari, Preferences, Appearance, Default Encoding. Make sure you remember what the original is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.