mac slow accessing share with a twist

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a question maybe someone can help with. I have mac osx 10.6.6
it can access a windows 2003 server shares. Heres the slowness issue. When I click on the server for the first time in the shared finder, it goes slow. after that intial slowness all ok. Howwver, if I back browse or click on the server again in the finder, back to slowness again (15-20 seconds). I mapped the drive to his desktop and that is fast regardless. What is it about accessing the server from the finder that is slow, and how can i fix it? I appreciate all feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Have you got your firewall turned on in System Preferences > Security?

If so turn it off, also if you have any anti-virus software, get rid of it.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a question maybe someone can help with. I have mac osx 10.6.6
it can access a windows 2003 server shares. Heres the slowness issue. When I click on the server for the first time in the shared finder, it goes slow. after that intial slowness all ok. Howwver, if I back browse or click on the server again in the finder, back to slowness again (15-20 seconds). I mapped the drive to his desktop and that is fast regardless. What is it about accessing the server from the finder that is slow, and how can i fix it? I appreciate all feedback.
My guess:
When you first log into the Win2k3 server, it authenticates you against Active Directory - or the local user accounts (if they don't have AD).

Then, the Win2k3 server authenticates you again each time you "back browse" all the way out of the CIFS share. You have "logged out".

The authentication is taking awhile - 20 seconds in your case.

When you map it to your desktop, the Win2k3 server never logs you out - your SMB session is still active and your GUID matches.

This is the same as a Windows user that "maps a network drive" vs. browsing to the server to find a drive. Once the network drive is mapped, you don't have to authenticate each time you open the drive - it is faster.

I assume you are logging in as a registered Active Directory user? If not, you might be logging in as "guest" and that might cause a delay in the AD server.

I don't think your firewall or security settings on the Mac will change anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.