iPad 2 not charging via usb hub

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this before or not, but noticed a minor hiccup with the iPad 2's charging.

I plugged my iPad 2 directly into a USB port on my MBP, and it charged up no problem. My husband plugged his into a USB hub that he has plugged into a port on his iMac and his iPad 2 displayed "Not Charging". I googled the problem, and noticed a LOT of people had the same thing. So he plugged the USB charging cord directly into a USB port on his iMac (not using the hub) and then it DID show that it was charging.

So if anyone else sees their iPad 2 not charging, don't panic, try plugging it directly into the computer's USB port and not using a hub. (Or just plugging it into a wall outlet, which is how I will normally charge mine, and how I usually charge my iPod.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
This was a "problem" since the iPad 1. The iPad takes 10W to charge up properly. It will charge up with any new Mac - but sometimes slower than the 10W charger it comes with. Anything else will still charge it but it has to be off and it takes a long time. Unfortunately I sync to an old PC - so the iPad has to be fully charged before I start syncing. It won't charge while syncing but when it is done it will charge it up as everything is off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.